December 2, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V939000
Driveshaft failure can cause a sudden loss of drive power, or cause the vehicle to roll away when parked if the parking brake is not applied. Either condition can increase the risk of a crash or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V939
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 279
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2021 Acura RDX and 2022 CR-V Hybrid vehicles. A component in the right or left front driveshaft may have been improperly heat-treated, which could result in driveshaft failure.
Dealers will replace the right or left front driveshaft as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed January 24, 2022. Owners may contact Honda customer service 1-888-234-2138. Honda’s numbers for this recall are BBY, NBW, and OBX.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
December 2, 2021
Ms. Anne Collins
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Attn: Recall Management Division (NVS-215)
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20590
Dear Ms. Collins:
In accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and 49 CFR Part 573 Defect and Noncompliance and Responsibility Reports, Honda is submitting the enclosed Defect Information Report regarding a safety recall of certain 2021 model year Acura RDX and 2022 model year Honda CR-V Hybrid vehicles to address a defect with the front drive shaft.
If you have any questions about this report, please feel free to contact me.
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
Product Regulatory Office
DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Name of manufacturer:
Honda Development and Manufacturing of America, LLC
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Identification of potentially affected vehicles:
|Make/Model||Model Year||Dates of Manufacture||Number of Vehicles|
|Acura RDX||2021||09/28/2021 – 09/28/2021||41|
|Honda CR-V Hybrid||2022||09/28/2021 – 10/01/2021||238|
Description of the basis for the determination of the recall population:
The recall population was determined based on supplier and manufacturing records. The production range reflects all possible vehicles that could experience the problem.
Description of how the vehicles being recalled differ from similar vehicles not included in the recall:
Similar vehicles produced outside the specified manufacturing range above had front drive shafts installed that were built to specification.
Identification of affected components:
Component: Drive Shaft Assy., Right or Left
|Honda CR-V Hybrid||44305-TMA-H01||44306-TMA-H01|
Country of Origin: U.S.
Manufacturer: NTN Driveshaft Anderson, Inc.
Total number of potentially affected vehicles: 279
Percentage of affected vehicles that contain the defect: 100%
A component in the right or left front drive shaft installed in affected vehicles may have received improper heat treatment, resulting in increased wear and premature failure. If the front drive shaft prematurely fails, the engine will not provide motive power and the vehicle may roll away if the electronic parking brake has not been set (even if the gear selector had been placed in the Park position). Both conditions increase the risk of a crash or personal injury.
September 30, 2021
The supplier informed Honda of potentially suspect parts that were shipped to Honda. These potentially suspect parts were assembled with insufficiently heat-treated steel balls for the front drive shaft outboard joint sub-assembly. Honda placed these vehicles on stop-shipment as a precaution while awaiting analysis from the supplier.
Mid-October to mid-November, 2021
The supplier completed reproduction testing of the potentially suspect parts. After continued use, the steel balls could deform from heat generated by the drive shaft, resulting in outboard joint sub-assembly seizure and drive shaft failure. The supplier also confirmed with the Tier-2 supplier of the steel balls that only specific production lots received abnormal heat treatment due to improper air/gas mixture and temperature variation from furnace misfires.
November 25, 2021
Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety existed and decided to conduct a safety recall.
As of November 25, 2021, Honda has not received any warranty claims, field reports nor reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue.
Program for remedying the defect:
Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be contacted by mail and asked to bring their vehicle to an authorized Acura or Honda dealer. The dealer will replace the right or left front drive shaft as applicable, for free. Owners who have paid to have these repairs completed at their own expense will be eligible for reimbursement in accordance with the recall reimbursement plan on file with NHTSA.
The estimated date to start notification to dealers: December 3, 2021
The estimated date to start notifications to owners: January 24, 2022
Representative copies of all notices, bulletins and other communications:
A copy of the dealer service bulletin, the final customer notification letter and other dealer communication will be submitted to your office as soon as possible.
A draft of the owner notification letter will be submitted to your office as soon as possible.
2 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V939-1780
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Part 573, Defect Information ReportRMISC-21V939-6551
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V939-5495
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V939-9831
Latest Recalls Documents
- Easy To Remove CV Axle: Use this CV joint puller, You will pull the old stubborn CV axle and get the new axle installed, not need spend a lot of effort, without causing damage to expensive aluminum transmission cases or other components
- Heavy Duty: Our slide hammers are heavier and larger than normal ones, easier to use and work more better, hammer weight is 10.5 lb, is twice the average slide hammer, so the generated pulling force is also twice of a normal slide hammer, length is 19.5 inches, have sufficient length slide to generate more force, slide hammer and the VC join fork is made of heavy duty steel, durable and not easy to break
- Effient Slide Hammer: Our slide and the slide hammer follow ergonomic design, the handle is curved and have a large surface, which use more comfortable. use our CV joint slide hammer, work more efficiently
- Wih 63mm 48mm Joint Fork: Our kit include opening 63mm and 48mm cv joint fork removing adapter, the CV Joint Fork is be threaded internally, and the Slide Hammer stick is threaded externally. the joint fork could fit on the slide hammer stick, 63mm and 48mm fit most vehicle models, have wide use
- Combinnation Kit: This kit include: 1 heavy duty slide hammer; 1 opening 63mm cv joint fork; 1 opening 48mm cv joint fork; 1 manual puller; 2pc 16mm nut. this kit have everthing you need to remove CV axle or half shaft, all the tools put in a plastic case, easy to carry, and we offer 12 months warranty, we will refund or replace, if the tool have any quality problem
- Easy to disassemble: Skip the complicated slide hammer puller sets and pry bar tools that can cause damage to your axle, use this CV shaft tool to easily disassemble the CV shaft, saving your time and energy !
- Material: CV Axle Removal Tool Set made of high-strength hardened steel, which has high hardness, high strength, with stable performance and reliable use and longer service life
- Benefits: Better and Safer than Using a Hammer and Bar because the wedge-shaped fork end of the axle Popper applies uniform pressure to both sides of the shaft To ensure safe release (Two piece CV axle popper tool kit ensures fitment for most FWD vehicles)
- Easy installation: Insert the wedge wheel bearing tool between the transaxle case and the axle joint, and the fork head surrounds the axle end, tap the end of the front fork to release the axle shaft. these axle puller tools are simple, yet powerful, Is your essential tool !
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you're not 100% satisfied with our , please feel free to contact us, simply return it for a full refund in 30 days. Premium Support & 12-Month Warranty.
- EASY BRAKE & BEARING REPAIR: The ABN Axle Remover & Front Wheel Puller Hub Grappler Tool makes for easy brake and bearing maintenance
- WORKS ON YOUR VEHICLE: Compatible fit on domestic and import vehicles with independent front wheel suspension; Use on any vehicle with studs that are inside the drum and has a tapered axle and 4-6 lugs
- VARIOUS APPLICATIONS: Use this hub grappler on 4, 5, or 6 bolt stud design and all non-C lock GM axles
- BUILT TO LAST: Heated pressure screw holds up to tough use; Drive center hole for the wheel studs and are constructed from heat-treated alloy steel that is drop forged for maximum strength and longevity that resists rust and corrosion
- PERFECT SIZE: Yoke and bolt are threaded 5/8-inch x 18 inches to best suit most vehicle applications
- PULL CV JOINTS & AXLES: This CV joint puller tool set by Orion Motor Tech is compatible with Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable models from 1986 to present, loosening and removing their front wheel drive axles and hidden retaining rings in minutes
- MULTIPURPOSE SLIDE HAMMER: Our slide hammer weighs 7 pounds for extra strength to give you a straight and even pull for damage-free removal of the axle assembly; its threading also lets you use it with other 5/8"-18 adapters to deal with other makes and models or to handle other work around your engine
- DURABLE PULLER ADAPTER: The U-shaped CV joint fork has a 2-inch opening and 2.4-inch depth to firmly lock onto your Sable or Taurus axle assembly, making removal of stuck CV joints a cinch
- QUICK & EASY OPERATION: These automotive tools work together to provide straight and even force so your constant velocity axle pops out smoothly, leaving the roller bearing inside the joint and the rest of your vehicle untouched
- BUILT TO LAST: Made of premium 45# stainless steel, our CV joint removal set provides strong and dependable service for the long haul; heat treated and blackened or chrome plated, each part offers superior durability and corrosion resistance for long use
- Application: Compatible with BMW E70 E90 E91 E92 X3 X5 X6 RWD 4WD
- OEM Equivalent Part Number: 335040; 335050; 335060; 335080; 230020
- Function: Use to install and remove the screw nut between the rear drive shaft and the differential, it can also be used to replace the differential shaft seal
- Quality Guarantee: Made of high quality heavy duty steel, high hardness and very strong, not easy to break and deform, The exterior is coated with antioxidant layer to prevent rust, extended service life
- 12 Months Warranty: We offer 12 months warranty, we will refund or replace, if the timing tool have any quality problem
- 【SUPERB DESIGN】This rear drive axle differential remover installer tools is specifically designed for installing and removing the nut between the rear drive shaft and the differential. The superb design makes it easier to install & remove, making it the ideal tool for the mechanic.
- 【SIMPLE OPERATION】High-end tool combination, not only can install and remove the nut between the rear drive shaft and the differential, but also can be utilized to replace the differential shaft seal. It makes repairing the car convenient & fast, saving your precious time.
- 【COMPATIBLE MODELS】The rear drive axle differential remover installer tool kit compatible with BMW X3 X5 X6 E70 E90 E91 E92 RWD 4WD. Replacement for OEM: 230020 335040 335050 335060 335080.
- 【MATERIAL & CRAFTSMANSHIP】Constructed of sturdy high-carbon steel material, heavy-duty design, high-temperature quenching process, surface anodized, strong & wear-resistant, ensuring long-term use. Strict test to ensure the card position is accurate.
- 【PROFESSIONAL KIT TOOLS】Kit includes: 1*rear axle differential flange nut dismounting wrench, 1*output flange support wrench, 1*final drive shaft nut disassembly wrench, 1*driving shaft seal ring sleeve,1*flange nut sleeve, 2*screw shread, 1* carrying case.
- Precision made tool is mandatory to remove the leaky seal around the shifter selector shaft mechanism through the transmission case.
- Product upgrade (Jan 2020): the tool is machined a few thousands more due to the GM shifter shaft has a high spot on shaft near where GM formed threads
- This handy tool will let you remove and insert the seal without removing the tranny pan or in most cases without even lowering the transmission.
- Tool has sharp leading thread edge to engage with leaky seal for efficient removal
- Steel construction threaded remover and installer dowl plus includes shifter gear selector rod seal
- Creates muscle memory for proper hand positioning and grip
- Attaches to most clubs from driver through wedge
- Small enough for your bag
- Perfect for practice or pre-round range sessions
- Built for right-handed golfers
- ITEM SPECIFICATIONS: This 2-Piece Axle Popper Set includes a 14-inch fork and a shim for quicker, easier, and safer work on front wheel drive vehicles when you need to break half shafts loose from the transaxle. The fork opening measures 1 7/8 inches. Note: This kit is not suitable for use on all vehicles. Check your vehicle specs to ensure proper fit.
- DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS: The two piece design of this kit means that users have multiple options for the safest and most efficient possible use. Strike the axle popper wedge or use it as a prybar to release the half shaft, and when you need something to fill the gap between the half shaft and transaxle, the included shim is the perfect tool for the job. The forked ends of these tools apply even pressure to both sides of the shaft you're working on for safer use, so it's easy to get the job done.
- APPLICATIONS: Whether you're a diy-er working out of your own home or a professional in a transmission shop, garage, or tire or body shop, this kit will allow you to break half shafts loose from the transaxle on front wheel drive vehicles quickly, easily, and safely thanks to the forked design's even pressure application.
- RELIABLE | EFFECTIVE | EFFICIENT: Users trust ARES to be quality tools. You are backed by our Performance Assurance Limited Lifetime Warranty. If you have any issues with your ARES 2-Piece Axle Popper Kit, simply contact customer service for troubleshooting help, parts, replacement, or refund.
- ASPCA BUSINESS AMBASSADOR: We are proud to be part of the ASPCA Business Ambassador Program. If you have a pet, you realize they are more than a pet, they are part of the family. With your support, we’re proud to help this great organization.
Last update on 2022-08-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.