A loss of power can increase the risk of a crash.
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell vehicles. The fuel cell control unit (FC-ECU) may misinterpret a small cell voltage drop, causing the vehicle to have reduced, or a complete loss of, power.
Honda will notify owners, and dealers will install a software update, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 26, 2018. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138. Honda’s number for this recall is R0L.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
January 26, 2018
Safety Recall: Fuel Cell Stack – Power System Problem Message is Displayed
|2017||Clarity Fuel Cell||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility|
The fuel cell stack generates electricity to power the vehicle through a process that combines hydrogen from the fuel tanks and the oxygen from the air. The stack is made up of many individual cells that act like batteries. Each of these cells is monitored individually by the vehicle so if there is a problem with the fuel cell, a warning message appears on the dash before the fuel cell shuts off. Because of a software issue, the monitoring system may shut down the fuel stack at the same time the message appears, resulting in an unexpected loss of motive power, which reduces vehicle control and increases the risk of a crash.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety recall, do a VIN status inquiry before leasing it.
Update the FC (fuel cell) system with the i-HDS.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
|3105H7||Update the FC system with the i-HDS.||0.2 hr||6CL00||R0L00||A18016A||3K201-5WM-A22|
Skill Level: Repair Technician
J2534 Software Information:
- PC Application Version: 126.96.36.199 or later
- Database update: 28-DEC-2017 or later
For more information about updating the iHDS, MVCI, or DST-i and vehicle systems, refer to Service Bulletin01-023, Updating tControl Units/Modules.
|Trim||Software System||Program ID (or later)||Program P/N (or later)|
|2017 Clarity Fuel Cell||FC||WMA220||3K201-5WM-A22|
- You cannot update the vehicle using the MVCI as a standalone tool.
- Do not use the MongoosePro VCI tool.
- Connect a fully charged 12-volt jumper battery to the vehicle, and leave it connected during the entire procedure to maintain steady voltage.
- Never turn the ignition to OFF or ACCESSORY during the update. If there is a problem with the update, leave the ignition turned to ON.
- To prevent control unit damage, do not operate anything electrical (headlights, audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, door locks, etc.) during the update.
- If you see the following Error Display, check that you are using the correct tool (MVCI or DST-i) with the i-HDS.
To change this, click on either of the SETTING selection buttons at the bottom of the J2534 initial screen as shown.
- Make sure the 12-volt battery is fully charged. Check the condition of the 12-volt battery using the GR8 battery diagnostic station. If necessary, replace the battery before updating the FC software. Refer to Service Bulletin 88-023, Battery Testing and Replacement.
- Connect a fully charged jumper battery to the vehicle, and leave it connected during the update to maintain steady voltage.
- Make sure the parking brake is applied and the headlights are turned off. Turn the power mode to ON by pressing the start button twice.
- Do not press the brake pedal while pressing the start button.
- The MID should not display “Ready to Drive.”
- Update the FC software by selecting the i-HDS Diagnostic System Refer to Service Bulletin 01-023, Updating Control Units/Modules
Do not use the Rewrite icon on your desktop.
- Select J2534 Rewrite.
- Confirm the software is the same or later as listed in SOFTWARE INFORMATION.
- Select Start, then follow the screen prompts.
- Do not enter a bulletin number.
- If you receive a message that the vehicle has been already updated or that no update is available, check the FC Data List. The header should indicate one of the following numbers (or later).
- The program ID’s are displayed when you click this icon.
- If the program part numbers do not match those listed above, the i-HDS software needs to be reinstalled. Contact the Special Tools Hotline at 800-346-6327 for assistance
- Remove the 12-volt jumper battery.
Vehicle Communication Interfaces (VCI)
The i-HDS software supports the use of a generic pass-thru VCI that is compliant with SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2. However, Honda recommends the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI for use on Honda and Acura vehicles, as Honda has worked closely with these manufacturers to ensure their hardware and our software interact safely and within the J2534-1 and -2 specifications, for both diagnostics and reprogramming. If you choose to use a generic VCI, please carefully consider the customer and technical support options you will receive from your chosen device supplier. Honda does not provide technical or customer support for generic VCI devices.
The VCI Application Table below lists devices that either are approved and supported by Honda or are known to have completed and passed an independent, exhaustive validation program with our i-HDS software suite.
|Manufacturer||VCI Name||Version Information||Notes|
|DENSO||DST-i||2.00.0010*||04.04||This is the current generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Bosch||MVCI||3.01.54*||04.04||This is the previous generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Drew Technologies||MongoosePro Honda||1.7.7**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
|Dearborn Group||d-briDGe Pro||3.303**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
* These versions may have been superseded. Honda provides the latest supported versions to current i-HDS subscribers.
** Version used in validation program. See Terms and Conditions and Important Notice Regarding Reprogramming below for more details.