June 10, 2016
04216 Version 12
Updating Control Units/Modules
(Supersedes 01-023, dated February 15, 2013, to revise the information)
All Models With Programmable Control/Units Modules
This service bulletin has been extensively revised; American Honda recommends that you read the entire bulletin.
NOTE: The CM Update (rewrite) feature within the MVCI menu is removed and is no longer supported.
The procedures in this service bulletin are used and referenced in other service bulletins.
For detailed information on i-HDS usage, refer to the i-HDS Quick Start Guide on SIS. Click on General Publications > Tool Information. Most 2002 and later Honda vehicles have reprogrammable control modules. To update (rewrite) any of these control modules, you need the vehicle along with the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI, and a laptop installed with the i-HDS software. The i-HDS software includes the J2534 Rewrite icon, which is used for vehicle control module updates.
This service bulletin describes these subjects:
- REQUIRED TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- UPDATING TIPS AND PRECAUTIONS
- QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPDATING EQUIPMENT OR THE INTERACTIVE NETWORK
- STARTING UP THE APPLICATIONS
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Refer to the specific service bulletin for the symptom you are repairing.
REQUIRED TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
NOTE: For more information about the DST-i, refer to the DST-i User Guide on SIS. Click on General Publications > Tool Information, or the Honda Tool and Equipment Program on the iN. DST-i – Model Number – DSCWIFI
3 Meter USB Cable – Model Number – DSCUSBCABL
3 Meter DLC Cable – Model Number – DSCDLCCABL
4GB SDHC Memory – Model Number – DSCSDCARD
IMPORTANT: American Honda strongly recommends against performing control module updates over a wireless connection between the laptop and interface device. If communication is disrupted during rewrite, permanent control module damage may result.
UPDATING TIPS AND PRECAUTIONS
- When updating a control module/unit on a new vehicle, make sure all its fuses were installed at PDI.
- To prevent control unit/module damage, do not operate anything electrical (audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, moonroof, etc.) during the update.
- The corresponding service bulletin will always indicate the correct database update to use. To check the database Update version on the i-HDS laptop, click on the HDS Download Manager icon on the taskbar
- Look at the Database Update then Installed Version. It should be the same or a later version than what is stated on the corresponding Service Bulletin.
- In addition, The most current software version information is also available on iN. Click on Service > Service Bay > Diagnostic Tools Software Versions.
- Do not connect an additional power supply to the DST-i or MVCI when it is connected to the vehicle; power is supplied through the DLC.
- To ensure that the control module/unit is not permanently damaged during updating, verify that the vehicle’s 12-volt battery is fully charged before starting an update.
NOTE: If the vehicle’s 12-volt battery drops below 10 volts during the update, the programming status bar may go past 100 percent, or the updating tool may display an error message.
If a problem occurs during an update, do the following to minimize the chances of damaging the control unit/module:
IMPORTANT: Keep the ignition ON.
- Connect a jumper battery (do not connect a battery charger).
- Disconnect the DST-i or MVCI from the vehicle’s DLC.
- Restart the Rewrite application.
- Reconnect the DST-i or the MVCI to the vehicle’s DLC, and retry the update procedure again.
NOTE: Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from an update (rewrite) will not be covered under warranty.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPDATING EQUIPMENT OR THE INTERACTIVE NETWORK
For questions about the Honda-supplied updating equipment, call the Special Tools hotline at 800-346-6327. For questions about the iN, call the iN Support Center at 800-245-4343
STARTING UP THE APPLICATIONS
- Click on the i-HDS icon from the Desktop.
- On the HOME menu, Click on the J2534 Rewrite icon.
- Next enter a Service Bulletin, if applicable. If no bulletin number is available, click on Start to go to the regular J2534 Rewrite application.
NOTE: A correct Service Bulletin number will launch the appropriate J2534 Rewrite Special Application. Leaving the service bulletin number section blank will launch the regular J2534 Rewrite application.
NOTE: Under certain conditions the HOME menu screen may pop back up, if it does, just minimize the screen to show the screen below.
- Connect to a vehicle and click Start to begin reprogramming procedures.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and then click Next.
- Select the system you want to update and click Select.
NOTE: Please wait until vehicle communication has completed.
- Confirm the update information and click ENTER to start reprogramming.
- Wait until the progress reaches 100%, then follow the on-screen prompts for ignition cycling.
- Click System to return to the System Selection