October 22, 2011
Engine Pings During Moderate to Heavy Acceleration
(Supersedes 09-041, dated July 21, 2011, to revise the information marked by the black bars)
Under WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION, a labor operation number was changed.
The engine pings during moderate to heavy acceleration.
Replace the knock sensor, then update the PGM-FI software. If you’re working on a vehicle with A/T, also update the A/T software.
NOTE: On vehicles with A/T, you must update the A/T software to complete the repair.
|Knock Sensor: P/N||30530-RL5-A01|
|Intake Manifold Gasket (four required): P/N||17115-R40-A01|
HDS Software Version:
2.019.009 (August 2009) (gray) or later.
Control Module (CM) Update:
Database Update 05-AUG-2009 or later.
NOTE: To avoid an incorrect repair that would not be covered under warranty, use the software version listed above or a later version.
The updated PGM-FI software program IDs and P/Ns are shown below. If these or a later program IDs are the current ones displayed during the update, the software for this service bulletin is already installed.
|Year/Model/ Software||Program ID||Program P/N|
|2009–10 TSX M/T PGM-FI Software||L5A030||37805-RL5-A03|
|2009–10 TSX A/T PGM-FI Software||L5A530||37805-RL5-A53|
|2009–10 TSX A/T A/T Software||L5A520||37806-RL5-A52|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.
|121188||Replace the knock sensor.||0.6|
|125517||Update the PGM-FI software.||0.2|
|A||A/T models only: Add for updating the A/T software.||0.1|
Defect Code: 03214
Symptom Code: 03203
Failed Part: P/N 37820-RL5-A51
Skill Level: Repair Technician
- Replace the knock sensor:
- Knock sensor replacement requires intake manifold removal.
- In step 6 of Removal, the bracket does not need to be removed; just remove the bracket lower bolt.
- In step 10 of Removal, the PCV hose does not need to be disconnected.
- In step 13 of Installation, radiator refilling and cooling system bleeding is not needed; just top-off the cooling system reservoir with about 6 ounces of coolant.
- Update the PGM-FI software. Refer to Service Bulletin 01-026, Updating Control Units/Modules.
NOTE: On Some 2009 TSXs with Tech Package (VINs JH4CU2….9C000001 thru JH4CU2….9C033097), you must disconnect the AcuraLink control until 5P update connector before updating the PCM. For more information, including additional warranty flat rate time, refer to Service Bulletin 09-009, Disconnect the AcuraLink Update Connector Before Updating the PCM.
- A/T models only: Update the A/T software. Refer to Service Bulletin 01-026.
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. offers SAE J2534 compliant reprogramming software for Honda and Acura vehicles FREE of charge. This J2534 software, when used with a properly built J2534 pass-thru device , will automatically check for the latest vehicle calibration information.
Do NOT program a control module unless you are directed by a service procedure or an applicable Honda/Acura Service Bulletin. Control Module updating should only be undertaken by a skilled professional using proper equipment and procedures, or module damage can occur. The process of updating to the latest software not associated with a specific symptom may not resolve other specific customer concerns. Unauthorized or self-directed programming may cause unintended and irreversible effects and lead to vehicle harm and/or customer dissatisfaction.
American Honda urges end users to always use the LATEST production release of the J2534 Honda Reprogramming software. Using the latest version of the software is the best way to ensure successful reprogramming of applicable control modules.
It is possible to damage the vehicle’s electronic control modules during reprogramming. Ensure the following conditions are met BEFORE programming a control module:
- The vehicle battery must be fully charged before programming the control module. Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming.
- Turn OFF or disable any system that may put a load on the vehicle battery.
- Make certain all tool connections are secure. Do NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
THE ON-SCREEN REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS OUTLINED BY THE SOFTWARE. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL CAUSE THE REPROGRAMMING TO FAIL.
Some modules may require additional programming/setup events performed before or after programming. Please refer to the appropriate Service Bulletins for details. (e.g. IMA Battery Module)
The information in Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. American Honda reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through American Honda’s on-line technical resources.
Warning: Certain control module systems require special procedures and or hardware to be properly reprogrammed. Before proceeding ahead, check the vehicle list below.
- 2013 Honda Accord – All Models (VSA System)
- 2011–13 Odyssey – Warranty Extension: MIL Comes On With DTCs P0301 Through P0304
- 2011-2012 Odyssey Touring and Touring Elite – Surge, Hesitation, or Judder on Upshifts