September 2, 2003
Applies To: 2000–01 Odyssey – ALL
Buzzing From the Alternator
|Alternator-Compressor Drive Belt||38920-P8F-A02||5963350|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
|Flat Rate Time:||0.3 hour|
|Failed Part:||P/N 38920-P8F-A04 H/C 6592398|
|Skill Level:||Repair Technician|
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
- If legible, inspect the part number on the alternator compressor drive belt.
- If the manufacturer is Bando or the part number is 38920-P8F-A04, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
- If the manufacturer (Bando) or the part number is not legible, go to step 2.
- Warm up the engine to operating temperature (cooling fans cycle twice), and turn on the A/C at its lowest setting. Let the engine idle.
- If the buzzing noise is coming from another area, continue troubleshooting.
- Loosen the two alternator mounting bolts. Torque the 10 mm bolt to 39 to 43 N.m (29 to 32 lb-ft) and the 8 mm bolt to 20 to 22 N.m (15 to 16 lb-ft).
NOTE: Use these torque values only to address this problem. For all other work, use the torque specifications in the service manual.
- Install the new belt.
- Warm up the engine to operating temperature (cooling fans cycle twice), and turn on the A/C at its lowest setting. Let the engine idle, and when the A/C compressor runs, make sure that the noise is gone.