Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Civic vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014, to November 6, 2014 and 2015 Fit vehicles manufactured March 12, 2014, to May 12, 2015. The software settings that control the transmission operation may result in damage to the transmission drive pulley shaft.
Honda will notify owners, and dealers will update the software for the transmission, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 30, 2015. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138. Honda’s numbers for this recall are JU2 (Civic) and JU3(Fit).
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
August 19, 2017
07212 Version 5
Safety Recall: CVT Input Shaft Pulley
Supersedes 15-065, dated October 8, 2015, to revise the information highlighted in yellow
|2014–15||Civic||ALL CVT||Check the iN VIN statues for eligibility|
|2015||Fit||ALL CVT||Check the iN VIN statues for eligibility|
Revised some information under SOFTWARE INFORMATION.
Certain drive cycle conditions may create higher-than-normal stress on the input shaft pulley which, if repeated enough times, could cause the pulley to break. If the shaft pulley breaks, the vehicle is not able to move while in gear or the wheels may lock, increasing the risk of a crash.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your used vehicle inventory. These vehicles must be repaired before they are sold.
Should your dealership sell an unrepaired vehicle that subsequently causes injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.
Take a 30 second A/T snapshot and send it to Tech Line first, using send on demand in the i-HDS, then update the A/T software.
- The snapshot is for data collection only. You do not need to call Tech Line after sending the information.
- Some customers may notice a slight difference in shift feel. The service advisor can explain that this slight difference in feel is not indicative of a problem and will prevent pulley damage. It does not affect fuel efficiency (as measured by EPA fuel economy testing).
NOTE: Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from a failure to update the i-HDS or MVCI are not covered under warranty.
i-HDS Software Version: 1.003.015 or later
J2534 Software Information:
PC Application Version 188.8.131.52 or later
Database update 12-JUL-2017 or later
Do only the update listed in this service bulletin.
|Year/Model||Program ID or Later||Program Part number or Later||Emissions|
|2014–15 Civic LX 2D/4D||JA560||37805-R1J-A560||KA|
|2014–15 Civic EX, EX-L 2D/4D||JA660||37805-R1J-A660||KA|
|2014–15 Civic HF||JA760||37805-R1J-A760||KA|
|2014–15 Civic LX 2D/4D||JL560||37805-R2J-L560||KL|
|2014–15 Civic EX, EXL, NAVI||JL660||37805-R2J-L660||KL|
|2014–15 Civic HF||JL760||37805-R2J-L760||KL|
|2014–15 Civic EX, EX-L 2D||JA860||37805-R1J-A860||KA|
|2014–15 Civic EX, EX-L 2D||JL860||37805-R2J-L860||KL|
|2015 Fit EX, EX-L||7A660||37805-5R7-A660||ALL|
|2015 Fit LX||7C670||37805-5R7-C670||ALL|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Template ID||Defect Code||Symptom Code||Failed Part Number|
|2235A4||2014–15 Civic: Update the A/T software (includes taking a 30 second A/T snapshot).||0.3 hr||15-065A||5ZK00||JU200||37820-R1J-A65|
|2235A4||2015 Fit: Update the A/T software (includes taking a 30 second A/T snapshot).||0.3 hr||15-065B||5ZK00||JU300||37820-5R7-A65|
- Connect the i-HDS and take a 30 second A/T snapshot while the vehicle is stopped and idling. Shift from Park, to Reverse, to Drive, and back to Park during the 30 second duration. It is not necessary to contact Tech Line, but you must send the A/T snapshot to Tech Line by using the send on demand function (click the folder with the blue arrow) as part of this safety recall. Enter your dealer number as the reference number.
NOTE: The snapshot is for data collection only. If the snapshot is not submitted, the claim may be subject to debit.
- You cannot update the vehicle using the MVCI as a standalone tool.
- Do not use the MongoosePro VCI tool.
- Make sure the 12-volt battery is fully charged before starting an update.
- Connect a fully charged jumper battery to the vehicle, and leave it connected during the entire procedure to maintain steady voltage.
- Never turn the ignition to OFF or ACCESSORY during the update. If there is a problem with the update, leave the ignition turned to ON.
- To prevent PCM damage, do not operate anything electrical (headlights, audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, door locks, etc.) during the update.
- If you see the following Error Display, check that you are using the correct tool (MVCI or DST-i) with the i-HDS.
To change this, click on either of the SETTING selection buttons at the bottom of the J2534 initial screens as shown.
- Update the PGM-FI or A/T software by selecting the i-HDS Diagnostic System Refer to service bulletin 01-026, Updating Control Units/Modules.
NOTE: Do not use the Rewrite icon on your desktop.
- Select J2534 Rewrite.
- Confirm the software is the same or later as listed in SOFTWARE INFORMATION.
- Select Start, then follow the screen prompts.
- Do not enter a bulletin number.
- If you receive a message that the vehicle has been already updated or that no update is available, check the PGM-FI Data List. The header should indicate one of the following numbers (or later):
- If the program part numbers do not match those listed above, the i-HDS software needs to be reinstalled. Contact the Special Tools Hotline at 800-346-6327 for assistance.
Vehicle Communication Interfaces (VCI)
The i-HDS software supports the use of a generic pass-thru VCI that is compliant with SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2. However, Honda recommends the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI for use on Honda and Acura vehicles, as Honda has worked closely with these manufacturers to ensure their hardware and our software interact safely and within the J2534-1 and -2 specifications, for both diagnostics and reprogramming. If you choose to use a generic VCI, please carefully consider the customer and technical support options you will receive from your chosen device supplier. Honda does not provide technical or customer support for generic VCI devices.
The VCI Application Table below lists devices that either are approved and supported by Honda or are known to have completed and passed an independent, exhaustive validation program with our i-HDS software suite.
|Manufacturer||VCI Name||Version Information||Notes|
|DENSO||DST-i||2.00.0010*||04.04||This is the current generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Bosch||MVCI||3.01.54*||04.04||This is the previous generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Drew Technologies||MongoosePro Honda||1.7.7**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
|Dearborn Group||d-briDGe Pro||3.303**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
* These versions may have been superseded. Honda provides the latest supported versions to current i-HDS subscribers.
** Version used in validation program. See Terms and Conditions and Important Notice Regarding Reprogramming below for more details.