February 17, 2017
05821 Version 2
Product Update: Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Software Update
Supersedes 15-055, dated August 21, 2015; See REVISION SUMMARY
|2013||Accord||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility|
|2014||Accord Plug-In||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility|
The reference to the Mongoose Pro Honda Quick Start Guide was removed because it is no longer available.
When a failure is detected, the EPS control unit goes into back-up mode. The new software provides partial assist during back-up mode.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold.
|Tool Name||Tool Number||Quantity|
|Mongoose Pro Honda Interface Tool||MGPHONDA||1|
NOTE: This tool was automatically shipped to your dealership on June 12, 2015.
NOTE: Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from a failure to update the i-HDS are not covered under warranty.
NOTE: If the EPS Rewrite icon is present on your laptop, your software is updated.
|Year/Model||Program ID||Program Part number||CM Part Number|
|2013 Accord 4-Door LX L4||39990-T2F-A020||39990-T2F-3050||39980-T2F-A014|
|2013 Accord Sport||39990-T2F-A810||39990-T2F-3070||39980-T2F-A814|
|2013 Accord 4-Door EX, EX-L, L4||39990-T2F-A920||39990-T2F-3060||39980-T2F-A914|
|2013 Accord 4-Door EX, EX-L, Touring, V6||39990-T2G-A910||39990-T2G-3050||39980-T2G-A914|
|2013 Accord 2-Door EX-L, L4||39990-T3L-A010||39990-T3L-3050||39980-T3L-A014|
|2013 Accord 2-Door EX-L, V6||39990-T3M-A910||39990-T3M-3050||39980-T3M-A914|
|2014 Accord Plug-In||39990-T3V-A030||39990-T3V-3050||39980-T3V-A013|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|5135A7||Update the EPS control unit software.||0.3 hr||15-055A||39980-T2F-A91|
Defect Code: 5ZS00
Symptom Code: JT500
Skill Level: Repair Technician
BEFORE GETTING STARTED
- If unfamiliar with the Mongoose Pro Honda Interface tool or the Electronic Power Steering Rewrite Application, refer to the following Special Tools guides:
- Connect a fully charged jumper battery to the vehicle and leave it connected during the entire procedure to maintain steady voltage.
- Never turn the ignition to OFF or ACCESSORY. If there is a problem with the update, leave the ignition turned to ON.
- To prevent EPS control unit damage, do not operate anything electrical (headlights, audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, door locks, etc.) during the update.
Connect the i-HDS and check for DTCs in the EPS system.
- If DTC 53-01 torque sensor (low/high check) or DTC 53-02 torque sensor (average check) is stored, complete this bulletin and refer to SB 15-056, Warranty Extension: EPS Torque Sensor (DTC 53-01 or DTC 53-02) to replace the steering gear box.
- If DTC 53-01 or DTC 53-02 is not stored, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
Updating the EPS with the Mongoose Pro Honda Interface Tool. NOTE:
- Make sure you have the latest software loaded to your PC.
- During the software update, DO NOT turn off the ignition to OFF. Doing so during the update will damage the control unit.
- Connect a jumper battery to the vehicle and leave it connected during the entire procedure to maintain a steady voltage.
- Connect the Mongoose Pro Honda cable between the PC and the vehicle’s DLC.
- Select the EPS Rewrite Icon on your PC.
- Click on the I Agree
- Click the Next button in the Pass-thru Device Selection
- Click on the Start
- Click on the Connect
- You will see the Communication with the Vehicle
- Wait for the EPS Update Information screen to appear. Select Yes. The update will start and the screen will show a loading bar.
- Turn the ignition to OFF, then to ON within 60 seconds to complete the updating procedure.
- The EPS Update Successful screen appears. Select Complete, then disconnect the Mongoose Pro Honda Interface Tool.
Vehicle Communication Interfaces (VCI)
The i-HDS software supports the use of a generic pass-thru VCI that is compliant with SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2. However, Honda recommends the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI for use on Honda and Acura vehicles, as Honda has worked closely with these manufacturers to ensure their hardware and our software interact safely and within the J2534-1 and -2 specifications, for both diagnostics and reprogramming. If you choose to use a generic VCI, please carefully consider the customer and technical support options you will receive from your chosen device supplier. Honda does not provide technical or customer support for generic VCI devices.
The VCI Application Table below lists devices that either are approved and supported by Honda or are known to have completed and passed an independent, exhaustive validation program with our i-HDS software suite.
|Manufacturer||VCI Name||Version Information||Notes|
|DENSO||DST-i||2.00.0010*||04.04||This is the current generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Bosch||MVCI||3.01.54*||04.04||This is the previous generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.|
|Drew Technologies||MongoosePro Honda||1.7.7**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
|Dearborn Group||d-briDGe Pro||3.303**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.|
* These versions may have been superseded. Honda provides the latest supported versions to current i-HDS subscribers.
** Version used in validation program. See Terms and Conditions and Important Notice Regarding Reprogramming below for more details.