June 10, 2016
04216 Version 12
Updating Control Units/Modules
(Supersedes 01-023, dated February 15, 2013, to revise the information)
All Models With Programmable Control/Units Modules
This service bulletin has been extensively revised; American Honda recommends that you read the entire bulletin.
NOTE: The CM Update (rewrite) feature within the MVCI menu is removed and is no longer supported.
The procedures in this service bulletin are used and referenced in other service bulletins.
For detailed information on i-HDS usage, refer to the i-HDS Quick Start Guide on SIS. Click on General Publications > Tool Information. Most 2002 and later Honda vehicles have reprogrammable control modules. To update (rewrite) any of these control modules, you need the vehicle along with the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI, and a laptop installed with the i-HDS software. The i-HDS software includes the J2534 Rewrite icon, which is used for vehicle control module updates.
This service bulletin describes these subjects:
- REQUIRED TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- UPDATING TIPS AND PRECAUTIONS
- QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPDATING EQUIPMENT OR THE INTERACTIVE NETWORK
- STARTING UP THE APPLICATIONS
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Refer to the specific service bulletin for the symptom you are repairing.
REQUIRED TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
The DST-i is available through the Honda Tool and Equipment Program. To purchase, call 888-424-6857. Note: The MVCI is supported; however it is no longer available for purchase
NOTE: For more information about the DST-i, refer to the DST-i User Guide on SIS. Click on General Publications > Tool Information, or the Honda Tool and Equipment Program on the iN. DST-i – Model Number – DSCWIFI
3 Meter USB Cable – Model Number – DSCUSBCABL
3 Meter DLC Cable – Model Number – DSCDLCCABL
4GB SDHC Memory – Model Number – DSCSDCARD
IMPORTANT: American Honda strongly recommends against performing control module updates over a wireless connection between the laptop and interface device. If communication is disrupted during rewrite, permanent control module damage may result.
UPDATING TIPS AND PRECAUTIONS
- When updating a control module/unit on a new vehicle, make sure all its fuses were installed at PDI.
- To prevent control unit/module damage, do not operate anything electrical (audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, moonroof, etc.) during the update.
- The corresponding service bulletin will always indicate the correct database update to use. To check the database Update version on the i-HDS laptop, click on the HDS Download Manager icon on the taskbar
- Look at the Database Update then Installed Version. It should be the same or a later version than what is stated on the corresponding Service Bulletin.
- In addition, The most current software version information is also available on iN. Click on Service > Service Bay > Diagnostic Tools Software Versions.
- Do not connect an additional power supply to the DST-i or MVCI when it is connected to the vehicle; power is supplied through the DLC.
- To ensure that the control module/unit is not permanently damaged during updating, verify that the vehicle’s 12-volt battery is fully charged before starting an update.
NOTE: If the vehicle’s 12-volt battery drops below 10 volts during the update, the programming status bar may go past 100 percent, or the updating tool may display an error message.
If a problem occurs during an update, do the following to minimize the chances of damaging the control unit/module:
IMPORTANT: Keep the ignition ON.
- Connect a jumper battery (do not connect a battery charger).
- Disconnect the DST-i or MVCI from the vehicle’s DLC.
- Restart the Rewrite application.
- Reconnect the DST-i or the MVCI to the vehicle’s DLC, and retry the update procedure again.
NOTE: Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from an update (rewrite) will not be covered under warranty.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPDATING EQUIPMENT OR THE INTERACTIVE NETWORK
For questions about the Honda-supplied updating equipment, call the Special Tools hotline at 800-346-6327. For questions about the iN, call the iN Support Center at 800-245-4343
STARTING UP THE APPLICATIONS
- Click on the i-HDS icon from the Desktop.
- On the HOME menu, Click on the J2534 Rewrite icon.
- Next enter a Service Bulletin, if applicable. If no bulletin number is available, click on Start to go to the regular J2534 Rewrite application.
NOTE: A correct Service Bulletin number will launch the appropriate J2534 Rewrite Special Application. Leaving the service bulletin number section blank will launch the regular J2534 Rewrite application.
NOTE: Under certain conditions the HOME menu screen may pop back up, if it does, just minimize the screen to show the screen below.
- Connect to a vehicle and click Start to begin reprogramming procedures.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and then click Next.
- Select the system you want to update and click Select.
NOTE: Please wait until vehicle communication has completed.
- Confirm the update information and click ENTER to start reprogramming.
- Wait until the progress reaches 100%, then follow the on-screen prompts for ignition cycling.
- Click System to return to the System Selection
Vehicle Communication Interfaces (VCI)
The i-HDS software supports the use of a generic pass-thru VCI that is compliant with SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2. However, Honda recommends the Denso DST-i or the Bosch MVCI for use on Honda and Acura vehicles, as Honda has worked closely with these manufacturers to ensure their hardware and our software interact safely and within the J2534-1 and -2 specifications, for both diagnostics and reprogramming. If you choose to use a generic VCI, please carefully consider the customer and technical support options you will receive from your chosen device supplier. Honda does not provide technical or customer support for generic VCI devices.
The VCI Application Table below lists devices that either are approved and supported by Honda or are known to have completed and passed an independent, exhaustive validation program with our i-HDS software suite.
|Manufacturer||Version Information||Notes||VCI Name|
|DENSO||2.00.0010*||04.04||This is the current generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.||DST-i|
|Bosch||3.01.54*||04.04||This is the previous generation VCI used by Honda and Acura dealers. Honda routinely validates the functionality and provides customer support for this device.||MVCI|
|Drew Technologies||1.7.7**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.||MongoosePro Honda|
|Dearborn Group||3.303**||04.04||This company has completed an independent i-HDS validation and claims it to function with the i-HDS software. Honda does not provide ongoing validation, nor customer support for this device.||d-briDGe Pro|
* These versions may have been superseded. Honda provides the latest supported versions to current i-HDS subscribers.
** Version used in validation program. See Terms and Conditions and Important Notice Regarding Reprogramming below for more details.
- CERTIFIED BY AUTHORITY: As an upgraded version of the MS908P,same function as MS908S PRO and MaxiSys Elite. This superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain, and characterized by its high-end diagnostic features with easy-to-use operations. It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance.
- ECU CODING/PROGRAMMING: This top-level OBD2 scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues.
- TOP-LEVEL CONFIGURATION: This Android4.4 based high-end car scanner is designed with the advanced hardware configurations including super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc. for users to detect the problems of the given vehicle efficiently and accurately.
- ABUNDANT VEHICLE MODELS: This diagnostic scan tool is built for testing more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes and you can use it to test more vehicles when you complete the update at our official website once in a while. It is basically a bidirectional scanner that allows you to send and receive data to and from a car’s control modules.
- DATA MANAGEMENT OPERAION: In order to bring convenience for users to manage all the data and parameters stored in this diagnostic tool, Autel MK908P supports the following user-friendly managing functions: Shop Manager Operation, MaxiFix Operation, Data Manager Operation, etc. to quickly and directly select the required referring information while diagnosing.
- TOP-LEVEL HEAVY TRUCK DIAGNOSIS: Want to diagnose different kinds of vehicles? Autel MaxiSysCV that comes with J2534 ECU Programming Device is the diagnostic tool you need! You can use comprehensive diagnostic functions including ECU Information, Trouble Codes, Live Data, Active Test, and Special services for Experts (Allison, Bendix, Caterpillar, Volvo, Freightliner, etc.), Buses (Volvo, Hino, Isuzu, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, etc.) and even Trucks (Volvo, Dodge, Ford, Foton, Mack, etc.).
- CODING FOR OPTIMIZING PERFORMANCE: With Autel MS908CV, Optimizing vehicle performance is not that hard! The 100% safe ECU Coding allows you to change options within the vehicle’s ECU to modify features for the tested vehicle. Note: Coding only changes preprogrammed options already existent in the software. High Beams and Fog Lights Together Double Blink Hazards Digital Accurate MPH Gauge Enhanced Bluetooth Enable, etc.
- SERVICE FUNCTIONS FOR FAST MAINTENANCE: You can complete a series of scheduled services and maintenance with only one MaxiSysCV. Free from the trouble of changing basic OBD2 scanners frequently to get related services. The most commonly performed service functions include Oil Reset, EPB, Brake Bleeding, DPF & SCR, IMMO & Keys, Injector, Throttle and more.
- USER-FRIENDLY FEATURES FOR HIGH EFFICIENCY: No fuss with complex operations! The user-friendly MaxiSysCV diagnostic tool reduces your fatigue. AutoVIN Scan allows you to check all the ECUs of the tested car in less than 1 seconds. Remote Desk Operation offers workshops a channel of controlling customers’ MaxiSys tablets for immediate technical support. Data/Shop Manager reduces the time spent on managing diagnostic files, workshop information, and more.
- POINTS FOR AFTER SERVICES: 1.About Quality: Autel MaxiSysCV is designed with advanced configuration (Android4.0 OS, Samsung Exynos 4-Core Processor, etc.) for smooth and reliable using. 2.About Warranty & Update: Within one year, Products with defectives in material or workmanship will be repaired or replaced free of charge and It’s free to update the software at regular intervals to increase MS908CV’s capabilities. 3. About Service: Autel is ready to answer any questions 7* 24 hours.
- 【SUPERIOR CODING & PROGRAMMING】 Supports coding and programming especially for BMW and Mercedes. With the VCI of MK908P for SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2 protocols, it can replace the existing software and firmware in ECU without expensive original equipment.
- 【WIDE DIAGNOSTIC SOLUTIONS】 Well capable of VCM coding and programming, TPMS coding, intelligent cruise control (ICC), ECU coding, live data, dashboard matching, airbag system reset, anti-theft key matching and more.
- 【POWERFUL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL】 The oscilloscope MP408 combine with MaxiCOM MK908P is able to measure and test virtually all the electrical and electronic components and circuits in any modern vehicles, providing you an insight to the inner workings of a vehicle’s electronic circuits.
- 【HIGH-EFFICIENCY OF USE】 Being MS908P upgraded, it is Autel’s latest and most sophisticated diagnostic scanner which boasts the best hardware including Hexa-CPU, 2GB RAM etc. for fast boot-up and multitasking, and the ergonomic design to resist damage of heavy use.
- 【WARRANTY & UPDATE】 You can get quality related services within 12 months warranty, besides, 12 months free online update is available for the latest bug fixes and newly added parameters and car models.
- The CarDAQ-M provides complete SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2 capabilities as well as functionality for all vehicle makes and models.
- The "M" in CarDAQ-M stands for "modular" meaning this product evolves with technology as it is introduced to the market.
- OEM-level Engine, Transmission and Body Control Module Reprogramming, and Dealer-level Diagnostics are available to you.
- OEM diagnostics for BMW, GM, Honda/Acura, Jaguar/ Land Rover, Toyota, Volkswagen/Audi, and Volvo
- Free J2534 Toolbox application with video’s and help tools, free software updates and toll-free technical phone and email support
- VXDIAG VCX NANO Box is PC-to-vehicle interface compatible with multiple software applications, minimizing your investment in multiple brand-specific diagnostic interfaces
- VXDIAG VCX Nano for GM/OPEL compatible with GDS and Tech2win software, support for GM/OPEL Diagnose and programming,for programming function, you would need buy software subscription online
- Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports; Support all current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2, GM LAN, etc.
- About Software: Our hardware is compatible with original software and for SPS programming online you need purchase subscription online.
- Installation Tips: Tech2win software can only be installed on 32bit computer(win7 or win10 both ok) and please attention Tech2win software can not be installed on virtual machine, need install on physica system. For any technical problem, please feel free to contact us at any time, we have engineer can assist you online.
- Wireless connection - simple plug and play configuration Upgraded support includes 802 11bgn
- High Speed USB 2 0 Connection with improved protection and faster performance
- Improved stability during engine crank with extended temperature range
- Enclosure design protects from exposure to fluids and drops
- Additional vehicle communications protocols include upcoming Global B vehicles with faster data buses SAE J2534 and ISO-22900 compliant
- ECU PROGRAMMING: The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- VEHICLE COVERAGE: The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- ADVANCED HARDWARE: MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P, features the 10. 1” 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9. 7” 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- BI-DIRECTIONAL CONTROL: The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICE: The MK908P is designed to serve users with a rich array of easy-to-use functions and features. The Maxi Fix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
- VCX is designed on the basis of the latest automotive international standards so that it can support many professional automotive diagnostic applications
- VXDIAG VCX Nano support latest version software, Compatible with varieties protocols. can be very easy to connect various automotive bus to a PC
- OS support both WINDOWS XP and Windows 7, Software support multi-languages: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ec
- Small size, easy to carry and convenient for us
- We provide full time online support, if you have any questions about our device, please feel free to contact us online via ask us a question or send us email
- This professional OBD2 diagnostic scanning tool is trusted by the mechanics and developed by professional engineers, all of which provide a complete list of real-time data streams.All the features of an expensive handheld scanning tool and the advantages of a smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphics of real-time data)
- DTC reads and deletes, sets/removes the speed limiter, and the new software flash of the existing ECU can solve the drive problem.
- Programming and installation of new ECUs (PCM, ABS, instrument clusters, airbags, fuel pumps, etc.)
- Practical DTC diagnostics are OBD 2 card readers - provide DTC help and service information, DTC read and clear displays, test oxygen sensors and containers, and display OBDII data stream graphics to facilitate DIY.
- Warm Reminder: This car WiFi scaner is designed for install and operate by professional car mechanics. This product is only hardware and does not contain software. For non-professionals, please find a professional mechanics to install and operate. Thank you so much!
Last update on 2020-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API