A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can increase the risk of a fire.
The affected vehicles have fuel tanks that may leak.
The recall is expected to begin April 24, 2017.
Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138.
Honda’s number for this recall is KE8.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
March 31, 2017
06124 Version 1
Safety and Emissions Recall: 2016 Pilot Fuel Tank
|2016||Pilot||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility|
Some plastic fuel tanks may have been manufactured with incorrect material, which can cause separation within the fuel tank walls allowing for fuel leakage. Customers may notice a fuel smell or a leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.
There is a similar safety recall, 16-051, Safety Recall: 2015–16 Odyssey and 2016 Pilot Fuel Tank, but each bulletin has unique VIN populations. Make sure you follow the correct bulletin for the vehicle you are working on.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. Furthermore, state law may provide American Honda with the right to seek indemnification in any such claim or lawsuit. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.
Replace the fuel tank.
|Part Name||Order Part Number||Quantity|
|Fuel Tank Set (Includes green and natural retainer, fuel lock nut and gasket set, fuel tube clips, and fuel tank)||17044-TG7-A00||1|
|Bolt (12-point, 8 x 29 mm) (Pilot AWD only)||90113-S10-000||8|
|Nut (10 mm)||90212-SA5-003||3|
|Flange Bolt (10 x 29 mm) (Pilot AWD only)||90382-SH9-003||2|
NOTE: For dealers experiencing a strong fuel smell from storing a fuel tank replaced under this Service Bulletin, the fuel tank may be disposed of immediately in accordance with local regulations. This only applies to the fuel tank replaced under this Service Bulletin. The published retention policy remains in effect for all other parts. If you have any questions to this exception or other parts retention issues please contact the WPI Administrative Office at 937-642-2737.
|Part Name||Order Part Number||Quantity|
|Fuel Nut Wrench||070AA-T0AA100||1|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
NOTE: Make sure to enter the fuel tank serial number in the DTC field of the warranty claim.
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Defect Code||Symptom Code||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|3101GA||Pilot 2WD: Replace the fuel tank.||2.5 hrs.||6HT00||KE800||17-021A||17044-TG7-A00|
|3101GA||Pilot AWD: Replace the fuel tank.||2.9 hrs||6HT00||KE800||17-021B||17044-TG7-A00|
Skill Level: Repair Technician
- Replace the fuel tank. Refer to service information.
- Refill the fuel tank with the fuel that was drained from the original fuel tank.
- Permanently damage the original fuel tank by using a pneumatic drill to make several holes in the tank to ensure it can’t be reused.
- Write the original fuel tank serial number on the RO, then give the warranty clerk the RO. For the warranty claim to be paid, the fuel tank serial number must be included in the DTC field of the warranty claim.
NOTE: Use the laser-etched serial number on the top of the tanks as shown. Do not use the paper one that is on the side of the tank.
- For California residents only: Fill out a Vehicle Emissions Recall – Proof of Correction certificate, and use KE8 as the recall number. Give the certificate to your customer, and advise them to keep it as proof that the recall was completed. Your customer will need to submit this certificate to the DMV only if the DMV requests it. If you need more certificates, use reorder number Y0657.