July 16, 2009
Applies To: See VEHICLES AFFECTED
Clunking, Popping, or Clicking Noise From the Front While Turning
(Supersedes 09-028, dated May 2, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars)
A VEHICLES AFFECTED section was added, which includes expanded VIN ranges for the 2008 Civic and the addition of certain 2009 Civics.
There is a clunk, pop, or click coming from the front of the vehicle when making a left or right turn at slow speeds.
The steering gearbox mounting bolts are not torqued correctly.
From VIN 2HGFA1…8H516998 thru 2HGFA1…8H599999
From VIN 2HGFG1…8H546508 thru 2HGFG1…8H599999
From VIN 2HGFA5…8H705832 thru 2HGFA5…8H799999
From VIN 2HGFG2…8H704505 thru 2HGFG2…8H799999
From VIN 2HGFA1…9H500000 thru 2HGFA1…9H525040
From VIN 2HGFG1…9H500000 thru 2HGFG1…9H539364
From VIN 2HGFA5…9H700000 thru 2HGFA5…9H708331
From VIN 2HGFG2…9H700000 thru 2HGFG2…9H704887
Retorque the steering gearbox mounting bolts.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
|Flat Rate Time:||0.4 hour|
|Failed Part:||P/N 90108-SNA-000 H/C 8178196|
|Skill Level:||Repair Technician|
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
Listen for clunking, popping, or clicking while turning left and right at slow speeds:
- If there is a clunking, popping or clicking, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
- If you don’t hear the noise, continue with normal troubleshooting.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Loosen all six of the the steering gearbox mounting bolts several turns.
- Torque all of the mounting bolts half-tight, then torque all of them fully.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Test-drive the vehicle, turning left and right at slow speeds, to make sure the noise is gone.