The affected vehicles are equipped with side curtain air bags and in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the side curtain air bags, the incorrect A-pillar interior cover may adversely affect the performance of the side curtain air bags increasing the risk of occupant injury.
The affected vehicles may have been assembled with an A-pillar interior cover designed for vehicles without side curtain air bags.
Honda will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the A-pillar interior cover and install the correct A-pillar cover, as necessary, free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin on September 25, 2014.
Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009.
Honda’s number for this recall is JF9.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
July 31, 2014
ATB 52056 (1407)
Safety Recall: Wrong A-Pillar Trim Is Installed
|2015||Fit||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility|
A small number of vehicles had the wrong A-pillar trim installed during assembly, which could cause the A-pillar trim to eject into the cabin if the side curtain airbag deploys in the event of a collision.
Inspect and, if necessary, replace the left and/or right A-pillar trim.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign beginning in August 2014.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. These vehicles must be repaired before they are sold.
Should a dealership sell an unrepaired vehicle that subsequently causes an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this campaign, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.
|Part Name||Part Number||Quantity|
|Left A-Pillar Trim (comes with upper and lower clips)||84151-T5R-A01ZA||1|
|Right A-Pillar Trim (comes with upper and lower clips)||84101-T5R-A01ZA||1|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|8575A3||Inspect the left and right|
A-pillar trim (on service drive).
|A||Replace the left and/or right A-pillar trim||0.2 hour||14-048B|
NOTE: The flat rate for replacing one or both A-pillar trims pays 0.2 hour.
Defect Code: 5YP00
Symptom Code: JF900
Skill Level: Repair Technician
- If the A-pillar trim has “SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAG” stamped on it, the vehicle is OK. No further action is needed.
- If the A-pillar trim does not have “SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAG” stamped on it, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
- Remove the A-pillar lower trim.
- Pull out the A-pillar trim.
- Put a shop towel in the opening between the A-pillar and the dashboard to prevent dropping the A-pillar clips.
- Remove the A-pillar trim.
- Remove the upper clip from the body and discard it.
- Install the new upper clip into the new A-pillar trim and install the clips.
- Install the new A-pillar and the lower A-pillar trim.
- Repeat steps 1 through 7 on the other side if needed.