September 1, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V662000
An engine stall or a loss of drive power can increase the risk of a crash or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V662
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,561
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2020-2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin motorcycles equipped with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT). A software error in the engine control unit (ECU), may disconnect the controller area network (CAN) communication and release the clutch, which can result in an engine stall or a loss of drive power.
Dealers will update the ECU software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed October 31, 2022. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-866-784-1870. Honda’s number for this recall is KNB.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL on CERTAIN 2020 thru 2021 CRF1100D/D4 (DCT ONLY ) motorcycles to update the software of the Engine Control Unit (ECU). A potential defect with the ECU processing may result in engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.
American Honda intends to mail customer letters to all owners of affected 2020 thru 2021 CRF1100D/D4 motorcycles in late October 2022. Customers will be informed that their motorcycle may be affected by a safety related defect and will be advised to make an appointment with an authorized Honda dealer for repair.
- The ECU update procedure will take approximately four minutes. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the ECU being permanently damaged and will not be covered by AHM warranty.
- Prior to the update procedure, ensure your laptop screen saver, hibernate, or sleep modes are disabled. Be sure to monitor progress to ensure ECU update procedure is not interrupted.
- Use Windows 8 or Windows 10.
- Ensure the laptop used for the ECU update procedure is fully charged or connected to a power source.
- Before beginning the ECU update procedure, ensure the vehicle battery is fully charged with ≥ 12.4 V.
- Before starting the ECU update procedure, check that all connections are fully set.
CONFIRM MCS SOFTWARE VERSION
Verify that the Motorcycle Communication System (MCS) program on your computer has the latest software version (V2.037 or higher).
If an update is needed, download the latest MCS software on iN by following the path:
iN > Service > TechLine > TechLine > Diagnostic Tools > MCS > MCS Software Download
Download Updated Software
1. Navigate to the ECM Software Updates page on iN by following this path:
iN > Service > TechLine > TechLine > Diagnostic Tools > MCS > ECM Software Updates
2. Click the link 2020 through 2021 CRF1100D/D4 ECU Update Procedure to download the software.
3. Copy the file (.rwg) from the folder shown.
Paste the file to the MCS directory in the laptop’s hard drive (C:).
Note: Do not change the file name. Only save the rewrite file. Do not save the file folder that the file downloaded from.
C:\Motorcycle Communication System\Rewrite Files
- 38770-MKS-A53_M1.rwg is for CRF1100D
- 38770-MKS-AV3_M1.rwg is for CRF1100D4
CONNECTING THE MCI
1. Connect the MCI to the computer using the USB cable.
- Refer to the service manual for instructions.
3. Connect the MCI to the red DLC connector .
ECU UPDATE PROCEDURE
1. Start the MCS program. Key “On” the ignition.
Enter the VIN, mileage, model and year, then click “OK”.
Note: If there are stored DTCs, clear them using MCS before performing the update.
2. Select the Maintenance tab then ECM Update.
3. Select the PGM-FI file from the table as shown, click the Select button next to the software revision file.
Note: If files are not saved correctly, an error may appear like shown below. Check the files are uploaded in the correct location (see Download the ECM Update File section above).
4. When the Updated ECU ID information populates on-screen as shown, click the Start button.
Note: ECU ID numbers will change for each vehicle type. The numbers shown below are for example only. The PGM-FI rewrite process will take approximately four minutes, indicated with a progress bar in green.
5. Once the rewrite process is complete, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and back ON within ten seconds.
6. When the Control Module Update Completed window appears, click OK.
Note: A DTC may be triggered during the update. Simply clear the DTC using MCS.
The ECU ID should change from 01039E0401 or 01039E0403 (depending on the model and year) to 01039E0404.
* The leading eight (8) digits of the ECU ID will vary based on the model and year.
Honda confirmed the issue in an Italian market vehicle.
October – November 2021
Honda researched and analyzed the issue.
November 2021 – June 2022
Honda continued to investigate the issue with the possibility of abnormal data production when OBD data was recorded.
August 26, 2022
Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety existed and decided to conduct a safety recall.
As of August 29, 2022, Honda has received a total of two (2) warranty claims in the U.S. market. No crashes or injuries related to this issue were reported.
2 Affected Products
|HONDA||CRF1100 AFRICA TWIN||2020-2021|
5 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-22V662-8637
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-22V662-0312
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V662-3002
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Latest Recalls Documents
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable for Yamaha - Diagnostic 4 Pin to OBD2 OBDII Cable Harness Adapter for Yamaha. Work with all latest motorcycle model with the 4-pin diagnostic plug, like FJR 1300, FZ09, FZ10, MT09, FZ-10, MT-10, XSR900, R6, R1, and XSR 900, XT1200ZE etc. Work on all newer Yamaha's that require the 4 pin adapter!
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable Cooperation - This 4pin motorbike OBD cable works with various programs / apps and even with standard OBD2 readers.
- 4pin OBD2 Scan Cable Support----Work with all latest motorcycle model with the 4-pin diagnostic plug, like FJR 1300, FZ09, FZ10, MT09, FZ-10, MT-10, XSR900, R6, R1, and XSR 900, XT1200ZE etc.
- After connect this 4pin motorcycle cable to programs / apps, then you can read / delete the fault memory,Reading of live engine data such as speed, rpm, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, etc.
- High quality warranty of OBD to YAMAHA cable/yamaha obd adapter!
- Works flawlessly with all BMW motorcycles from year 1996 to 2016.
- Softwares: ISPI-NEXT Admin Tools, ISPI Admin Client, ISTA-D (Rheingold), ISTA-P (ISSS-NEXT), HDD-Update, KSD, ETK, E-SYS, WINKFP, NCS-Expert tool, INPA Tool32, BMW Coding Tool, NcsDummy, IToolRadar, EasyConnect, MotoScan App.
- Compatible with K-Line and DCAN tools
- GS-911 Alternative / Replacement: Pair it with OBDLink, Motorscan, BMW ICOM A1, BMW ICOM A2, BMW ICOM A3
- Professional manufacturing, stable characteristic and high reliability.
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable for Yamaha - Diagnostic 4 Pin to OBD2 OBDII Cable Harness Adapter for Yamaha. Work with all latest motorcycle model with the 4-pin diagnostic plug, like FJR 1300, FZ09, FZ10, MT09, FZ-10, MT-10, XSR900, R6, R1, and XSR 900, XT1200ZE etc.
- Diagnostic Test Scanner Function - OBD2 4 Pin diagnostic plug adaptor cable clear a check engine light, after connect this 4pin motorcycle cable to programs / apps, then you can read the fault memory,Reading of live engine data such as speed, rpm, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, scanner cable for best test results.
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable Cooperation - This 4pin motorbike OBD cable works with various programs / apps and even with standard OBD2 readers.
- Premium Quality - 4Pin OBD2 diagnostic USB cable made of premium material, this car diagnostic cable obd2 scanner is sturdy, not easy to aging and abrasion resistant, to ensure maximum strength and durability for long lasting usage
- What You Will Get - We offer OBDII cable 24 month service, any questions about OBDII cable converter adaptor, please contact us by email, we will reply you within 24 hours.You will get a obd2 connector cable scan tool
- 🔥【Officially Recognized Third-party APP & wide compatibility】Most Bluetooth OBD2 scanners are only compatible with a few third-party apps, but NEXLINK is the recommended adapter for most popular official third-party apps such as Torque, BimmerCode, FORScan, Dashcommand, etc. Turn your iPhone, iPad and Android device into a professional diagnostic scan tool.
- 🥉【Good Value for Money】Most Bluetooth OBD2 scanners around $30 are only compatible with Android and use Bluetooth 4.0 or below, resulting in differences in compatibility and connection stability. NEXLINK is not only compatible with Android and IOS systems, but also supports connection with phones and computers. With the latest Bluetooth 5.0 to instantly connect to the vehicle's OBD interface via Bluetooth, which makes it easier to read data from ECU and greatly improves usability.
- 🥇【Unique Motorcycle Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner】NEXLINK is the only Bluetooth OBD2 scanner on the market that supports simultaneous diagnosis of cars and motorcycles thanks to its compatibility with BMW motorcycle-specific APP - Motoscan. It is also compatible with an application that allows reprogramming, diagnosis and testing of the engine control units (ECU) of some European motorcycles - TuneECU (Aprilia, Benelli, Ducati, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Triumph).
- 🥈【NEXLINK Work With Your Car】NEXLINK Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner works with cars, SUVs, MPVs, minivans and light trucks from 1996 onwards sold in the United States. Allows you to easily diagnose engine problems and turn off the warning light, also perform all OBD test modes such as DTC search, live data stream, freeze frame data, EVAP system test and generate diagnostic reports. Convenient Google search button, built-in OBD II fault code search library.
- 🏅【Enhanced Performance Test Tool】This Bluetooth Obd2 Scanner not only shows you the problem, but also how to fix it with the help of a downloadable app. Moreover, it keeps you on your engine's more performance tests, including accurate reading of acceleration, distance, braking, PID chart etc., and trip monitoring, including real-time analysis of speed changes, coolant temperature, average speed, RPM, number of fast braking/high speed, start/idle time, etc.
- This 6pin motorbike OBD cable works with various programs / apps and even with standard OBD2 readers.
- With this 6-pin to OBD2 adapter cable you can connect your ktnn motorcycle with a Kline or Canbus compatible OBD2 diagnostic interface or ELM327 scanner.
- After connect this 6pin motorcycle cable to programs / apps, then you can read / delete the fault memory, Reading of live engine data such as speed, rpm, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, etc.
- This 6pin motorbike OBD cable is compatible with many of ktnn Kline and Canbus Motorcycles,please refer to below descriptions for the details supported motorbike models.
- 3 years quality warranty.
- Compatible i.a. with H0ndFlasher. Read / delete the fault memory
- This Hon 4pin motorbike obd adapter is just a diagnostic connector, need diagnostic interface/scanner (H0ndFlasher, 327elm, Motorbike diagnostic tool...) to operate
- Reading of live engine data such as speed, rpm, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, etc.
- Connection 4 pin H0nd/diagnostic connection OBD2 socket
- Just works for Honda Kline protocol motorbike, not works for Canbus and other brand motorbikes. 2 years quality warranty
- # OBD 16 pin female to 4 pin and 3pin Yama-ha plug
- # You pay for one cable, got 2connectors both for 3pin and 4pin.
- # Professional factory moulded lead
- # Compatibility: For certain Yama-ha motorbikes or similar
- # This 4pin and 3pin motorbike OBD cable works with various programs / apps and even with standard OBD2 readers.
- Perfect compatibility: OBD2 is specially designed for YAMAHA, this diagnostic cable is usually designed to fit for YAMAHA. Please confirm the applicable car model before placing the order.
- Main function: It has very useful functions. The carefully designed 4-pin to OBD2 diagnostic cable is practical and reliable. Used to test ports. Stable characteristics, professional performance and high reliability.
- Durability: The power supply voltage range of the OBD2 fault diagnosis instrument is 8-36V, and the adapter is made of high-quality ABS material to ensure excellent flexibility and durability. Exquisite manufacturing, high reliability and high performance.
- Easy to install and use: OBD2 fault diagnostic instrument meets standard specifications and strictly follows factory quality control. It is easy to install, does not require complicated tools, and is reliable to use.
- Quality assurance: If you are not satisfied with our products, please contact us, we will provide you with perfect after-sales service until you are satisfied.
- BMW 10-pin OBD adapter for motorcycles- Allows K-line and DCAN diagnostics.the 10pin cable Suitable with GS-911,OBDLink,Motorscan...
- Motor 10pin cable Allows K-line and DCAN diagnostics software - ISTA/D ISTA/P Rheingold
- 10pin Motor cable Designed to work with just a laptop and regular K-line and/or DCAN interface
- Motor 10pin cable Supports diagnostic software: ISTA/D ISTA/P Rheingold
- BMW 10-pin OBD adapter for motorcycles and 5 years warranty
- Motorbike 3pin OBD cable is for Motorcycle K-line models
- Motorbike 3pin OBD cable is compatible with OBD diagnostic scanner/reader and ELM327
- With connection obd diagnostic scanner,this motorbike OBD cable is compatible with various programs,Read / clear the fault memory
- Connect with OBD diagnostic scanner, it can read live engine data such as speed, RPM, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, etc.
- This motorbike obd cable only works for K-line motorcycles,not for other brand motorbikes
Last update on 2022-11-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.