February 26, 2016
02609 Version 3
HFL Poor Sound Quality or Static
Supersedes 15-051, Titled HFL Poor Sound Quality or Static, dated December 9, 2015, to revise the information highlighted in yellow.
NOTE: Make sure there is a match between the HFL P/N and software version under SOFTWARE INFORMATION.
NOTE: Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from a failure to update the HDS are not covered under warranty.
HDS Software Version: 3.017.012 or later
HFL (HFT) Control Unit Update Version: 188.8.131.52 or later
Do only the update listed in this service bulletin.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Defect Code||Symptom Code||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|0525A1||Update the HFL software.||0.3 hr||03214||03217||15-051N||39770-TX4-A01|
- Once the HFL (HFT) Control Unit Update tool is connected to the HFL unit in the vehicle, you’ll see the HFL unit part number and HFL software version as shown. Refer to S/B 12-032, Updating Programmable HFL (HFT) Control Units for information about verifying the software version.
- Check the HFL part number and software version against the table below.
|Year||Model||Trim||HFL Unit Part Number||HFL Software Version|
- If the HFL unit P/N and software version are both listed in the table, go to step 3.
- If the HFL unit P/N and software version both do not appear in the table, do not update the vehicle. If you try to apply the update, the audio and HFL control unit may be damaged.
- Update the HFL control unit software to 02.000. Refer to S/B 12-032, Updating Programmable HFL (HFT) Control Units.
NOTE: If Siri was previously enabled as an accessory, re-enable it by following the accessory installation instructions BII 50045, Siri Eyes Free Mode HFL Software.
- Verify the HFL software was updated to the new version 02.000. If the software was not updated, cycle the ignition OFF, then back to ON and go back to step 3 to repeat the update procedure.
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. offers SAE J2534 compliant reprogramming software for Honda and Acura vehicles FREE of charge. This J2534 software, when used with a properly built J2534 pass-thru device , will automatically check for the latest vehicle calibration information.
Do NOT program a control module unless you are directed by a service procedure or an applicable Honda/Acura Service Bulletin. Control Module updating should only be undertaken by a skilled professional using proper equipment and procedures, or module damage can occur. The process of updating to the latest software not associated with a specific symptom may not resolve other specific customer concerns. Unauthorized or self-directed programming may cause unintended and irreversible effects and lead to vehicle harm and/or customer dissatisfaction.
American Honda urges end users to always use the LATEST production release of the J2534 Honda Reprogramming software. Using the latest version of the software is the best way to ensure successful reprogramming of applicable control modules.
It is possible to damage the vehicle’s electronic control modules during reprogramming. Ensure the following conditions are met BEFORE programming a control module:
- The vehicle battery must be fully charged before programming the control module. Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming.
- Turn OFF or disable any system that may put a load on the vehicle battery.
- Make certain all tool connections are secure. Do NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
THE ON-SCREEN REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS OUTLINED BY THE SOFTWARE. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL CAUSE THE REPROGRAMMING TO FAIL.
Some modules may require additional programming/setup events performed before or after programming. Please refer to the appropriate Service Bulletins for details. (e.g. IMA Battery Module)
The information in Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. American Honda reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through American Honda’s on-line technical resources.
Warning: Certain control module systems require special procedures and or hardware to be properly reprogrammed. Before proceeding ahead, check the vehicle list below.
- 2013 Honda Accord – All Models (VSA System)
- 2011–13 Odyssey – Warranty Extension: MIL Comes On With DTCs P0301 Through P0304
- 2011-2012 Odyssey Touring and Touring Elite – Surge, Hesitation, or Judder on Upshifts