August 28, 2009
Click From the Front Suspension Area While Accelerating or Braking
(Supersedes 08-005, dated July 7, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars)
Under WARRANTY INFORMATION, the flat rate time for a two-wheel alignment was updated after the operation was reviewed and validated.
There are one or more clicking noises in the front suspension area while accelerating or braking.
|Front Compliance Bushing with Bracket: P/N||51395-STX-A03||(left)|
|Self-locking Nut (two required): P/N||90381-STX-A01|
|Suspension Stroke Sensor Flange Nut
(For vehicles equipped with the active damper system, two required): P/N
|Ball Joint Castle Nut (two required): P/N||90365-STX-A00|
|Lower Arm Flange Bolt, 14 mm (four required): P/N||90118-STX-A00|
|Lower Arm Flange Bolt, 16 mm (two required): P/N||90118-SJC-A00|
|Ball Joint Remover, 32 mm: T/N||07MAC-SLOA102|
|Ball Joint Thread Protector, 14 mm: T/N||071AF-S3VA000|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
|4161E9 C||Replace both front compliance bushings.
Do an alignment.
Failed Part: P/N 51390-STX-A00
Defect Code: 01102
Symptom Code: 04201
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
Listen for one or more clicking noises in the front suspension area while accelerating from a moderate stop (between normal and abrupt) or while braking.
- If you hear the noise, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
- If you don’t hear the noise, continue with normal troubleshooting.
- Remove one front lower arm assembly:
- Replace the front compliance bushing:
NOTE: Make sure you properly align the bushing with the lower arm, and torque it while off the vehicle or the splines will be damaged:
- Refer to page 18-19 in the service manual, or
- Online, enter keyword BUSHING, and select Front Lower Arm Removal/Installation from the list. Scroll through the procedure to bushing replacement.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the other side.
- Check the front wheel alignment, and adjust it if needed:
- If equipped with an active damper system, do the headlight initial position learning procedure: