If water enters the gas tank, the engine may stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2017 Honda CBR1000RR and CBR1000RR SP motorcycles. There may be a gap between the fuel tank cap seal and the fuel filler neck which can allow water to enter the fuel tank.
Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel tank cap. If water has gotten into the fuel tank, the affected components will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 4, 2017. Owners may contact 1-866-784-1870. Honda’s number for this recall is KH7.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
ISSUED: November 2017
SAFETY and EMISSION RECALL
2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1/S2 – FUEL CAP ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
Important: All remedy parts are VIN specific so that the remedy fuel cap matches the original equipment lock-set. Therefore, you must match the remedy parts kit to the motorcycle VIN before installation.
Dealer Inventory: All remedy parts for dealer-owned units will be allocated to your dealership.
Customer Units: Contact TechLine with the motorcycle VIN to order remedy parts.
Kit, Cap Set (1) P/N 06172-MKF-306
|Fuel filler cap, complete|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
After completing the Service Bulletin repair procedure, submit one warranty claim per unit with the following template number:
|Claim Template||Flat Rate Time||Included Material Allowance|
|KH7A||0.4 hours||Water based craft paint ($1.00)|
Honda is launching a SAFETY and EMISSION RECALL of all model year 2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1/S2 motorcycles to replace the fuel cap assembly. If the fuel cap seal swells, a gap may occur between the fuel tank cap seal and the fuel filler neck, causing an evaporative emission leak. If the motorcycle has a full tank of fuel, a
small amount of fuel may enter the drain tube during rapid acceleration or deceleration. Also, the gap may allow water to enter the fuel tank from the outside. If water enters the tank it may cause the engine to stall. A redesigned fuel cap assembly is available to correct this condition.
An engine stall could result in the loss of power and may increase the risk of a crash.
Two Step Repair Procedure
Before the fuel cap assembly can be replaced, the rubber seal must be inspected for a potential leak. Do not replace any fuel cap assemblies without first performing the fuel cap inspection procedure.
American Honda is sending a letter to owners of 2017 model year CBR1000RR/RA/S1/S2 motorcycles informing them that their motorcycle is being recalled for a safety and emission related defect. The customer will be made aware of the safety risk and advised to have a Honda dealer replace the fuel cap assembly.
For your reference, a copy of the Customer Letter is reproduced on page 5 of this bulletin.
Effective October 26, YOU MUST NOT SELL any NEW or USED 2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1/S2 until it is repaired according to this bulletin.
- To search for applicable recalls on a specific unit, use Unit Information on iN.
- To manage your affected inventory, use eResponsibility Report on iN.
Before you begin the repair procedure, check if it has already been performed on the unit by looking for a punch mark before the first character of the VIN as shown.
- If there is a punch mark:
- No further action is necessary.
- If there is no punch mark, check the VIN against Unit Information on iN. If the check does NOT indicate this Recall (KH7) has been performed, proceed with the REPAIR PROCEDURE section of this Service Bulletin.
– If the Unit Information check DOES indicate this Recall (KH7) has been performed, please contact Warranty (see DEALER SUPPORT).
If you have any technical questions relating to repair verification, repair procedure, or parts information please contact:
Motorcycle TechLine Online: iN > Service > TechLine > TechLine Connect Or call (800) 421-1900, option 9
If you have any warranty administration questions relating to warranty claim templates, repair verification discrepancies, and claim filing procedures, please contact:
Motorcycle Warranty Online: iN > Service > Warranty & HondaCare > Warranty Connect Or call (800) 421-1900, option 7
|IMPORTANT FIRST STEP|
|Match the remedy parts kit to the motorcycle VIN.
Prepare the remedy parts by matching the VIN on the packaging to the motorcycle VIN.
CRATED DEALER INVENTORY
If the unit is in the crate, proceed to FUEL CAP ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT.
UNCRATED DEALER INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER OWNED UNITS
If the motorcycle is outside of the crate, proceed to FUEL CAP SEAL INSPECTION.
FUEL CAP SEAL INSPECTION
- Open the fuel cap and wipe clean the fuel cap seal (rubber) and the top of the fuel filler neck as shown with isopropyl alcohol and let them dry for a minute.
- Apply a thin coat of bright colored water-based craft paint to the front half of the fuel filler neck as shown.
- Immediately close the fuel cap and then open it.
Examine the paint mark transferred to the fuel cap seal.
- If the paint mark was fully transferred to the seal with no gaps, the fuel cap is sealing.
Wipe the paint off the fuel filler neck with a wet cloth and then proceed to FUEL CAP ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT. (Do not remove the paint from fuel cap seal as the part may be called in for inspection.)
- If the paint mark was not fully transferred to the seal (gap), the fuel cap may not be sealing properly and there may be water inside the fuel system. Contact TechLine for further instructions.
FUEL CAP ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
Reminder: Match the repair part to the motorcycle VIN.
- Place a clean shop towel over the fuel filler neck to prevent debris or dropped bolt entry as shown.
Remove the three bolts and fuel cap assembly as shown.
- Install the remedy fuel cap assembly in the reverse order of removal using the bolts removed in Step 1.
- Insert the remedy part test key and test the operation of the fuel cap assembly.
Close the fuel cap.
- Insert the customer’s ignition key into the remedy fuel cap and confirm the operation of the key in the new cap.
Close the fuel cap.
After the REPAIR PROCEDURE is complete, apply a punch mark before the first character of the VIN located on the frame as shown.
CALIFORNIA REGISTERED UNITS ONLY
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emission recalls to be completed prior to California registration renewal.
Owners whose affected motorcycles have not received this Emissions Recall will not be able to renew their motorcycle’s California vehicle registration.
California dealers (and any dealer repairing a California registered unit) must order the Proof of Correction certificate (item no. S0425) from Helm, Inc.
Fill in the appropriate information on the certificate and give it to the customer. (See the sample on the next page.)
NOTE: It is critical that you write down KH7 as the Recall Number. The certificate may be requested by the California Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of vehicle registration renewal.