January 11, 2005
Applies To: See VEHICLES AFFECTED
Squeak at the Clutch Pedal
(Supersedes 02-002, dated September 21, 2004)
A squeak, a twang, or a notchy feel when the clutch pedal is pressed.
2004: From VIN 2HGES….4H500001 thru 2HGES….4H539779
2004: From VIN 1HGES….4L000001 thru 1HGES….4L010847 Civic 2-door
2004: From VIN 1HGEM2…4L000001 thru 1HGEM2…4L029834
2004: From VIN SHHEP3…4U500001 thru SHHEP3…4U500101
2004: From VIN JHMES9…4S000001 thru JHMES9…4S001890
2004: From VIN SHSRD7…4U200001 thru SHSRD7…4U211567
2004: From VIN JHLRD7…4C000001 thru JHLRD7…4C002219
|Silicone Grease: P/N||08C30-B0234M||H/C 6110928|
|Brake Fluid: P/N||08798-9008||H/C 4423802|
|Civic/Civic Hybrid Master Cylinder: P/N||46920-S5A-G04||H/C 7569452|
|Accord/Civic Si/CR-V/Element Master Cylinder: P/N||46920-S7A-A02||H/C 7604507|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
|Flat Rate Time:||0.6 hour (All Civics)|
|0.8 hour (Accord/CR-V/Element)|
|Civic/Civic Hybrid:||P/N 46920-S5A-G01|
|Accord/Civic Si/CR-V/Element:||P/N 46920-S7A-A01|
Defect Code: 03214
Symptom Code: 04201
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
Have an assistant press the clutch pedal while you grasp the clutch line at the clutch master cylinder, and then at the slave cylinder. If you feel a vibration through the clutch line when you hear the noise or the noise stops, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE. If you feel no vibration or the noise does not stop, look for other causes.
- Enter keyword CLUTCH MASTER, and select
- Install the new clutch master cylinder, but do not attach the clutch line fitting.
- Apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the clutch line fitting and to the opening in the clutch master cylinder. Do not use silicone spray; it could damage the O-ring.
- Connect the clutch line fitting to the clutch master cylinder.
- Bleed the clutch hydraulic system, then top off the reservoir with brake fluid.
- Check to see if the noise is gone when pressing the clutch pedal.
- If the noise is gone, the repair is complete.
- If the noise is still present, look for other causes.
- Test-drive the vehicle to check for proper clutch operation.