May 26, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V380000
An inaccurate fuel gauge may result in the vehicle unexpectedly running out of fuel and stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V380
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 212
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2020 CR-V vehicles. The clip for the absorber inside the fuel tank was not secured properly and may detach, which can cause an inaccurate fuel gauge reading.
Dealers will replace the fuel tank, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 5, 2022. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138. Honda’s number for this recall is RCB.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
- 212 vehicles are affected, only in the United States
- Fuel tanks will be replaced for free
- No reported crashes or injuries related to this issue
TORRANCE, Calif. – June 3, 2022 – In the United States, American Honda will voluntarily recall 212 Honda CR-V vehicles from the 2020 model year to replace their fuel tanks, for free. An internal component of the fuel tank may break loose inside the tank and block the float mechanism that signals fuel level to the meter, incorrectly indicating the amount of fuel in the tank. This defect may lead to a vehicle unexpectedly running out of fuel and stalling while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. No crashes or injuries have been reported in relation to this issue.
Honda is announcing this recall to encourage each owner of an affected vehicle to take it to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Mailed notification to owners will begin in early-July 2022. Owners can also determine if their specific vehicles are included in the recall by visiting www.recalls.honda.com or by calling (888) 234-2138.
# # #
1. What is the reason for this recall?
An internal component of the fuel tank (an absorber clip) may break loose inside the tank and block the float mechanism that signals fuel level to the meter, incorrectly indicating the amount of fuel in the tank. This defect may lead to a vehicle unexpectedly running out of fuel and stalling while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. No crashes or injuries have been reported in relation to this issue.
2. What will be done to recalled vehicles?
3. Does this affect all 2020 CR-V vehicles?
No. Only 212 vehicles from this model year will require repair.
4.Will Honda dealers be allowed to sell recalled vehicles before they can be repaired?
Honda has directed its dealers not to sell any of the affected vehicles, new or used. Dealers can sell vehicles once the recall repair is completed.
5. How long will the inspection/repair take?
Vehicle owners should consult with their local dealer for a repair time estimate, as it may vary with a dealer’s daily schedule.
The fuel tank replacement itself will take approximately 2 hours, once the vehicle is in the hands of a technician.
6. Have any crashes been caused by this problem?
No. Honda has not received any reports of crashes resulting from this condition.
7. Has Honda received any reports of injuries from this issue?
No. Honda has received no reports of injuries related to this defect.
8.Has Honda received complaints from customers for this issue?
Yes. Honda discovered this issue after several customers experienced related symptoms such as stalling, vehicles not starting or inaccurate fuel gauges.
This is a supplier issue.
10.What is the name of the supplier of the fuel tanks?
11.Where were these vehicles built?
All of the recalled vehicles were built at Honda’s Marysville, OH plant.
12. When will customers be notified?
13. What should a customer do if their vehicle is experiencing a problem now?
If an owner of a recalled vehicle believes that it is experiencing this problem now, they should contact their authorized Honda dealer as soon as possible to schedule the free recall repair.
14.Is there a potential to include other vehicles in the future?
We are confident that we have identified all of the potentially affected vehicles and do not expect to add any in the future.
15. How many countries does this affect?
This recall applies to specific 2020 CR-Vs sold only in the U.S.
16. How many vehicles are affected by this recall?
Worldwide total: 212
17.What is the cost to Honda of this recall?
I’m sorry, but that information is considered proprietary.
|2020||CR-V||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility.|
Due to a manufacturing process error, a small number of absorber clips may not have been properly welded to the fuel tank causing them to potentially separate from the tank. A separated absorber clip may allow the front tank absorber to block the fuel pump meter arm causing an inaccurate fuel level reading.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.
Replace the fuel tank.
|Part Name||Part Number||Quantity|
|Bolt (12-Point 8 mm x 21 mm) (AWD Only)||90113-S10-000||4|
|Tool Name||Tool Number||Quantity|
|Fuel Sender Wrench||070AA-TLA0100||1|
FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
- Remove the emergency fuel funnel from the cargo area.
- Insert the emergency fuel funnel into the fuel filler neck to relieve the pressure in the tank.
- Turn the ignition to ON, but do not start the engine.
- Connect the i-HDS. From the System Selection Menu select the PGM-FI system, select Function Test, and select FUEL PUMP OFF Follow the test instructions for starting the engine and idling until it stalls.
- Turn the ignition to OFF.
2. Disconnect the 12-volt battery.
3. Drain the fuel tank.
- Remove the rear seat foot covers, then remove the bolts.
- Lift the rear seat cushion, and secure it in the up position with a bungie cord.
- Remove the fuel tank unit (fuel pump module assembly) access panel.
- Disconnect the fuel tank unit connector.
- Wrap a shop towel around the fuel line quick-connect fitting, then disconnect it.
NOTE: The new fuel tank comes with a tank unit O-ring.
- Using a hand pump, a hose, and a container suitable for fuel, draw the fuel from the fuel tank.
4. Remove the applicable floor undercover based on the trim level.
5. AWD Models Only: Move the propeller shaft out of the way.
- Unbolt the No. 2 propeller shaft at the rear differential and the propeller shaft protector. Once unbolted, let the propeller shaft hang to the side and secure it with a strap to avoid stressing the carrier bearing.
- Secure the bungie cord or other line that is supporting the propeller shaft to a cool surface away from the exhaust pipe such as an exhaust hanger. It is okay if the propeller shaft touches the exhaust.
6. Remove the left side rear inner fender.
7. Remove the heat shield from the right rear area.
8. Remove the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank protector.
- Remove the fuel tank guard pipe (if needed).
- Disconnect the EVAP canister line hose.
- Remove the fuel fill pipe clamp.
- Place a transmission jack or other support under the fuel tank, then remove the fuel tank straps and nut.
NOTE: Make sure the support has casters as you will need to move the tank around to guide the filler pipe out through the rear subframe.
- Remove the fuel tank assembly.
NOTE: As you lower the fuel tank assembly, remove the fuel tube from the tank.
NOTE: Make sure you use the new O-ring that came with the fuel tank.
10. Install the new fuel tank; with the tank straps and bolts as shown.
11. Install the following components in the reverse order of removal:
- Fuel fill pipe clamp
- EVAP canister line hose
- Fuel tube
- Fuel tank guard pipe
- Fuel tank protector
- Heat shield
- Left side inner fender
- Propeller shaft (AWD models only)
13. Check for fuel leaks before installing the fuel sending unit access panel.
- Connect the battery.
- Connect the fuel tank unit connector, then turn the ignition to ON, but do not start the engine. After the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, the fuel line will be pressurized.
- Repeat step 13.2 two or three times, then check for fuel leakage.
14. Install remaining parts in the reverse order of removal.
1 Affected Product
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
- SPECIFICATIONS: Easily remove and install fuel pump retaining rings! Our spanner wrench fits most plastic retaining rings. It's compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lids 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch (38mm to 168mm) in size. The wrench easily engages in the ridges around a threaded locking collar that secures the fuel pump to the top of the tank.
- ADJUSTABLE: This fuel pump spanner wrench is fully adjustable from 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch along the middle track, which allows for a custom fit and better grip during removal and installation.
- APPLICATIONS: Our fuel pump module spanner wrench is compatible with a wide variety of vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank.
- RELIABLE | EFFECTIVE | EFFICIENT: Users trust our tools to be quality tools. You are backed by our Performance Assurance Limited Lifetime Warranty. If you have any issues with your fuel pump module spanner wrench, simply contact customer service for troubleshooting help, parts, replacement, or refund.
- ASPCA BUSINESS AMBASSADOR: We are proud to be part of the ASPCA Business Ambassador Program. If you have a pet, you realize they are more than a pet, they are part of the family. With your support, we’re proud to help this great organization.
MADE OF HIGHT QUALITY STEEL:Fuel tank cover spanner adopts high quality steel forging, overall high temperature quenching treatment, high hardness, wear resistance, long life, easy to use.
APPLICATION: Fuel pump cover spanner is used for vehicle removal and installation of fuel pump retaining rings that attach the fuel pump module to the fuel tank. Fuel pump module spanner wrench fits most plastic retaining rings. Compatible with vehicles equipped with silent fuel tank lids.
DESIGN FEATURES: The curved foot design is more suitable for the installation surface of the oil pump cover to ensure that it is not easy to slip off during operation. The four sides are rounded, and the two hands are respectively held at both ends of the beam to twist the remover, so that it is not easy to hurt the hands when operating with both hands.
- Application: This fuel tank wrench length is 6.29 inches, Compatible with Honda AVANCIER CRV
- Easy Remove Fuel Tank Lock: locks into place and it's easy to remove. No banging with a hammer to get ring off, very easy to use, made quick work of removing rusted lock rings
- Save Time: This fuel tank remover tool accepts a 1/2" drive. I suggest using a 3/4" breaker bar with a 1/2" adapter if you have one. but do not use impact tool. only take a 30 sec you will take lock ring off/on
- Durable: Our fuel pump lock ring tool made of high quality steel, high hardness and strong, and the tool very thick, not easy deformed or break, and the surface is coated with black antioxidant to prevent rust, so this tool have long service time
- Lifetime Warranty: We offer lifetime warranty, we will refund or replace if our tool have any quality problem, but please carefullu check your car fuel tank shape and measure the length of the diameter before order
- Fit for:Mercedes Benz/BMW/Audi/VW
- Remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring, keeping the gas tank and the fuel pump module in the balance curve of the foot
- With the curvature of the foot firmly fixed on the tank to ensure that no slip operation, more safe and convenient
- Butterfly nut design for easy adjustment
- Regulation range is 3 to 16cm,Removes and installs the fuel pump retaining ring
- Universal: This Fuel Pump Module Spanner Wrench fits most plastic retaining rings, Compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lid, adjustable from 3/8" to 1/2" (38mm to 168mm) ratchet drives.
- Applications: Suitable for vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank.
- Easy Handle: Anyone who needs to remove a ring nut to change out or install a fuel pump, replace fuel sending unit, change the fuel filter etc. MUST have this wrench!! Gets the job done quickly!! Zero damage to the plastic ring nut with this wrench and it's totally adjustable to fit whatever size ring nut possible!!
- Work with: All that is needed is a 12mm wrench to set the width of the arms and a 3/8" drive ratchet with extension. Perfect though. Way better then a screw driver and hammer (that didn't work).Make sure you tighten the two small bolts before use. The wrench easily engages in the ridges around a threaded locking collar that secures the fuel pump to the top of the tank.
- You can use on all kind of vehicle with slient fuel tank lid.
- Widely Fitment: This fuel pump removal tool Use for symmetrical holes type & 5 or 7 holes type fuel tank lid. (Check the type of the lock ring of your car before buy)
- Adjutable Size: This fuel tank lock ring tool has a large adjustment range (5.83~7.83inch) which is suitable for different oil pump lock rings.
- A MUST HAVE TOOL: This universal fuel pump removal tool will help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender fast and effective without damaging the oil pump rings.
- Intended Use: This fuel pump ring removal tool can easily remove and install lock ring on the fuel tank when servicing the fuel pump or fuel sending unit. （use with a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar）
- Applications: This fuel tank ring tool is suitable for vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank.
- Large adjustment range,suitable for different oil pump glands.
- Four-sided rounded corners, not easy to hurt your hands when operating with both hands.
- Straight foot type card slot area thickened design, greater torque and higher strength.
- Curved foot with curved design, more suitable for the oil pump cover mounting surface, to ensure that it is not easy to slip during operation.
- Fits most plastic retaining rings, Compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lids.
- Durable texture: our fuel pump removal tools are made of quality chrome-vanadium steel material, sturdy and durable, not easy to corrode, rust, deform and break, can serve you for a long time
- Proper dimension: the adjustable lock ring spanner with two claws are adjustable from 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch (38mm to 168mm) ratchet drives, the fuel pump module spanner with three claws is adjustable from 135mm to 185mm, enough to meet your daily need
- Humanized design: these oil pump cap cover has large adjustment range which is suitable for different oil pump caps, will meet your different need and effectively help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender fast and effective without damaging the oil pump rings
- Nice repair tool: the curved foot design makes fuel tank lid cover remover spanners more suitable for the oil pump cover mounting surface to ensure that it is not easy to slip during operation, save your time and effort
- Fit most situation: these adjustable fuel pump lock ring tool are suitable for vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank, suitable for most car tank caps
- FITMENT: Fits for Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 4500, for Dodge Charger Dodge Challenger SXT, for Hyundai Elantra Tuscan Sonata, for 2007-2012 Hyundai Sante Fe, for SAAB 9-3 03-11, for Saab 9-5 2008, for Chevy Silverado Malibu Maxx Colorado Avalanche Trailblazer Camaro SS (Please check the size before purchase)
- FOR AUTO MODELS: Fit for Jeep Wrangler TJ Jeep Compass, for 2005 Mercury Montego, for 2005-2006 Pontiac Bonneville & G6, for 2011 Kia Sorento, for 2006 chrysler 300c, fit for Ford Explorer Ford F150 Ford Ranger, for Mercury Mariner, for Nissan Pathfinder Sentra Frontier
- INTENDED USE: Easily removes and installs lock ring on the fuel tank when servicing the fuel pump or fuel sending unit （use with a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar）
- A MUST HAVE TOOL: Made of High Standard Structural 42CrMo Steel with good mechanical properties, our tool is solid enough. Its Black Oxide Finish is good in resisting rust. Sunluway fuel sender tank lock ring tool will help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender FAST and EFFECTIVE without damaging the rings
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We are serious to offer the best products and services to customers. If you're not 100% satisfied with our tool, simply return it for a full refund in 30 days, no questions asked money back guarantee. Premium Support & 12 Months Warranty
Last update on 2022-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.