August 14, 2020
Safety Recall: 2018-19 HR-V AWD Fuel Pump Motor
This bulletin replaces 20-046 Safety Recall: 2018−19 HR-V Fuel Pump Motor
|Year||Model||Trim Level||VIN Range|
|2018–19||HR-V AWD||ALL||Check the iN VIN status for eligibility.|
Due to swelling of the fuel pump motor impeller, the fuel pump may seize and stop working. If this occurs, the engine may not start, or the engine could stall while driving, increasing the risk of a crash.
This service bulletin is only for the HR-V AWD. If working on a HR-V 2WD, go to service bulletin 20-053 Safety Recall: 2018-19 HR-V 2WD Fuel Pump Motor.
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.
Failure to repair a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this safety recall, do a VIN status inquiry before selling it.
Replace the fuel pump motor.
Due to limited supply, this will be a controlled part and will require a valid VIN when ordering.
|Part Name||Part Number||Quantity|
|Fuel Pump Motor Kit (AWD)||06170-T7L-305||1|
For dealers experiencing a strong fuel smell from storing a fuel pump motor replaced under this service bulletin, the fuel pump motor may be disposed of immediately in accordance with local regulations. This only applies to the fuel pump motor replaced under this service bulletin. The published retention policy remains in effect for all other parts. If you have any questions about this exception or other parts retention issues, contact the WPI Administrative Office at 937-642-2737.
|Tool Name||Tool Number||Quantity|
|Fuel Nut Wrench (Fuel Sender Wrench)||070AA-T0AA100 or|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Defect Code||Symptom Code||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|3101HK||Replace the fuel pump motor.||1.2 hr||6FE00||K7X00||A20052A||17045-T7X-A01|
|Fuel pump motor removal exposes fuel, which can ignite, causing a fire or explosion.|
This can cause serious injury or death.
Always work in a well-ventilated area, and keep sparks or open flames away.
- Relieve the fuel pressure.
1.3 Start the engine, and let it idle until it stalls.
1.4 Turn the ignition to OFF.
1.5 Install PGM-FI main relay 2.
- Remove the driver’s seat.
2.1 Remove the driver’s seat front foot covers (if equipped).
2.2 Remove the driver’s seat rear foot covers (if equipped).
2.3 Remove the driver’s seat mounting bolts.
2.4 Disconnect both 12-volt battery terminals.
- Always disconnect the negative terminal first.
- To protect the terminal connector from damage, do not hold it when removing the terminal.
- Do not disconnect the 12-volt battery sensor from the cable.
2.5 Remove the harness clip and connectors as shown.
- Remove the rear heater duct.
- Remove the fuel tank unit access panel, and disconnect the connector.
- Place a rag or shop towel over the quick-connect fittings, and disconnect them.
- Loosen the fuel tank unit locknut using the Fuel Sender Wrench (T/N 070AA-T0AA100 or 07AAA-T0AA100), then remove it.
Make sure not to bend or twist the fuel level sensor arm excessively.
- Disassemble the fuel tank unit.
8.1 Prepare the fuel tank unit and parts to be replaced.
Take a photo of the fuel tube and wire harness, and note their routing for assembly. There are various types of routing.
8.2 Spread the wire harness clamps, and remove the wire harness. Make sure not to damage the wire harness.
Do not spread the clamps too wide. Spreading them too wide may damage them.
8.3 Remove the fuel level sensor.
- Disconnect the harness.
8.4 Remove the E-ring, and throw it away. Do not use it again.
8.5 Use an O-ring pick to disconnect joint A inside the reservoir.
8.6 Disconnect joint B from the bottom of the reservoir.
8.7 Remove the fuel filter assembly from the reservoir by releasing the three clips.
The spring may slide off the sliding shaft. Retain this spring. It will be used during assembly.
Do not spread the clips too wide. Spreading them too wide may damage them.
8.8 Remove the fuel pump assembly from the fuel filter.
- Assemble the fuel tank unit.
9.1 Install the new spacer, O-ring, and wire harness to the new fuel pump.
- The O-ring must be installed to the pump as shown, not to the fuel filter side.
- Coat the O-ring with clean engine oil; do not use any other oil or fluid.
- Do not pinch the O-ring during installation.
- When connecting the wire harness, make sure the connection is secure and the connectors are firmly locked into place.
- Use all of the new parts supplied in each replacement kit.
9.3 Install the fuel filter assembly to the reservoir.
- Make sure the fuel tube is routed exactly as shown in the photo taken before disassembly.
- Make sure the three clips are fully engaged.
9.4 Connect joint B.
9.5 Install the new E-ring.
After installation, make sure the E-ring can be rotated with your finger. If it cannot be rotated, the E-ring may not be fully seated or may be incorrectly installed.
9.6 Install the fuel level sensor to the reservoir. Make sure the lock is engaged.
When installing the fuel level sensor, make sure the connection is secure and the connector is firmly locked into place. Be careful not to bend or twist it excessively.
9.7 Install the wiring harness to the clamps.
- Clip in the smaller harness wires followed by the larger wires.
- Make sure not to damage the wire harness.
- Make sure the wire harness is routed exactly as shown in the photo taken before disassembly.
- Do not spread the clamps too wide. Spreading them too wide may damage them.
9.8 While compressing the fuel tank unit, make sure the movement is smooth and the fuel tube and wiring harness do not pinch or bind.
- Make sure the wire harness is not stretched.
- Make sure the fuel tube is not pinched.
- Install the fuel tank unit.
10.1 Install a new base gasket to the fuel tank unit, then connect the transfer tube.
Make sure the transfer tube clamp is positioned as shown.
- Be careful not to damage the new base gasket.
- Do not coat the base gasket with any oil.
- Make sure not to bend or twist the fuel level sensor arm excessively.
To avoid a fuel leak, make sure the base gasket is not pinched. Do this either visually or by hand.
- Tighten the fuel tank unit locknut.
If the locknut is not properly installed, the fuel tank can be damaged and will require replacement.
- After tightening, make sure the marks are still lined up.
- To avoid a fuel leak, make sure the base gasket is not pinched.
- Remove the quick-connect fitting retainers on the fuel tank unit, then install the new retainers to the quick-connect fittings as shown.
- Connect the quick-connect fittings to the fuel tank unit.
- Connect the fuel tank unit connector.
- Connect the 12-volt battery terminals.
- Check for fuel leaks by turning the ignition to ON, but do not turn the engine on. After the fuel pump runs for about 2 seconds, the fuel line will be pressurized. Repeat this two or three times, then make sure there is no fuel leakage.
- Install the fuel tank unit access panel.
- Install the remaining parts in the reverse order of removal.
- Clear all DTCs using an i-HDS.
- California residents only: Fill out a Vehicle Emissions Recall – Proof of Correction certificate, and use K7X as the recall number. Have the service advisor give the certificate to your customer, and advise him or her to keep it as proof that the recall was completed. Your customer will need to submit this certificate to the DMV only if the DMV requests it. If you need more certificates, use reorder number
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Product Type: Cleaning Agent
- Package Dimensions: 5.842 L X 5.842 W X 20.32 H (Cm)
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Package Weight: 0.85 Pounds
- Breaks surface tension and cuts through corrosion and deposits of all kinds
- Loosens, lubricates, cleans and protects parts and mechanisms
- Use in the shop or in the house
- 12 oz. canister
- Designed to exceed expectations - Red line complete SI-1 fuel system cleaner treatment for cleaning & preventing corrosion in fuel systems
- Perform & protect - Fuel additive cleans injectors, carburetors, valve & combustion chamber deposits with a powerful concentrated blend of high-temp and low-temp detergents
- Efficient fuel burn - Gas treatment that enhances gasoline stability, while reducing the buildup of gum and varnish formation
- Easy to use - Use one bottle per tank for most effective treatment, additive cleans nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment
- Why red line - Established in 1979, red line products perform & protect better than any on the market. No compromises
- SO INCREDIBLY SOFT - This is one of the softest our staff could find out there. It's made with a 50% cotton/50% polyester blend providing a soft feel. You won't be disappointed in this crewneck sweater. We promise.
- FEELS FITS & LOOKS GREAT - This 8oz crewneck sweatshirt has a very durable and sturdy feel to it. It is amazingly comfortable, feels great, and has a great fit to it. It's a standard men's fitting crewneck sweatshirt but we would recommend you check our graphic size chart.
- MADE WITH CARE - This crewneck sweatshirt will be imprinted with the design shown in the main product picture. We accomplish this through the use of digital print technology for the perfect print and alignment. Each crewneck sweatshirt is thoroughly checked before being shipped to you to make sure it meets our strict product standards.
- A GIFT FOR EVERYONE - This crewneck sweatshirt makes a great gift for Christmas, Father's day, Mother's day, Bosses day, Secretary's day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays or even Bachelor or Bachelorette parties. You could also buy it for corporate events, sporting events, or any event really. The possibilities are endless
- WHEN DO I WEAR THIS - This crewneck sweatshirt is great for making a statement. You can say things without even saying them out loud. Walk proudly and people will most likely stop and compliment your witty sense and your great crewneck sweatshirt!
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API