March 31, 2006
Clunk or Squeak From Rear Suspension
(Supersedes 00-006, dated December 11, 2001, to update the information marked by the black bars)
A clunk or squeak from the rear suspension when going over rough or bumpy roads.
Broken rear trailing arm bushing(s).
Replace the rear trailing arm bushing(s).
|Rear Trailing Arm Bushing:||P/N||H/C|
|1988–00 Civic and 1993–97 Del Sol||52385-SR3-000||4098299|
|Trailing Arm Bushing Installation Set||07AAF-SK7A130||8283822|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
|419104||Replace right bushing||0.9|
|419103||Replace left bushing||0.9|
|419102||Replace both bushings||1.8|
|431311||Check two-wheel alignment||0.6|
|Failed Part:||1988–00 Civic and 1993–97 Del Sol:
H/C 40982991997–01 CR-V:
|Defect Code:||01801 Symptom Code: 04205|
|Skill Level:||Repair Technician|
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
NOTE: ISIS online service manual information is only available for vehicles 1990 and newer.
- Remove the rear trailing arm:
- Mark the trailing arm at the arrow on the bottom of the bushing.
- Place the arm on a hydraulic press, supported by the hub base, with the spindle facing up.
- With the hub driver, press the old bushing out of the trailing arm.
- Install the new bushing with the short end toward the outside of the vehicle. Align the arrow with the mark you made on the trailing arm.
- Press the new bushing into the trailing arm until its edge is 10 to 12 mm above the surface of the arm.
- Reinstall the trailing arm.
- If necessary, repeat steps 1 thru 7 to install a new bushing in the other rear trailing arm.
- Bleed the brake system:
- Check the wheel alignment, and adjust it if needed: