NHTSA ID Number: 10161642
Manufacturer Communication Number: A19-037
Service Bulletin – Under certain circumstances, the vehicle may experience driveability issues, which may result in DTCs P0300 (random misfire detected), P0301 (No. 1 cylinder misfire detected), P0302 (No. 2 cylinder misfire detected), P0303 (No. 3 cylinder misfire detected), P0304 (No. 4 cylinder misfire detected), or P0172 (fuel system too rich) or a whirling noise coming from the engine compartment.
2 Affected Products
Under certain circumstances, the vehicle may experience driveability issues, which may result in DTCs P0300 (random misfire detected), P0301 (No. 1 cylinder misfire detected), P0302 (No. 2 cylinder misfire detected), P0303 (No. 3 cylinder misfire detected), P0304 (No. 4 cylinder misfire detected), or P0172 (fuel system too rich) or a whirling noise coming from the engine compartment.
Check the VIN of the vehicle to see if S/B 18-114, 18-124, or 19-025 apply. If one applies and the repair directed by that bulletin has not been completed, do the applicable repair before continuing.
To ensure customer confidence in our product, Honda is extending the powertrain warranty from the original 5 years/ 60,000 miles to 6 years with unlimited mileage from the original sale date. This warranty extension applies to any engine components, such as camshafts, rocker arm assemblies, and spark plugs, requiring repair due to damage resulting from those concerns identified in the first paragraph.
This warranty extension will not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state’s law. This does not affect emission warranties.
Based on certain driving patterns and environmental factors, the DTC’s stated above may be set or a whirling noise may occur.
If S/B 18-114, 18-124, or 19-025 applies to this vehicle, complete the repairs under that bulletin first. If S/B 18-114, 18-124, or 19-025 applies, the applicable repair was completed, and misfire (P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304) or fuel system too rich (P0172) DTCs were set after the earlier repair was completed, do REPAIR PROCEDURE A. If there is a whirling noise coming from the engine compartment, do REPAIR PROCEDURE B
These parts are needed if replacing the spark plugs.
|Part Name||Part Number||Quantity|
REPAIR PROCEDURE A
1. In some cases, the misfire DTCs may return. If this happens, inspect the spark plugs.
- If the spark plugs are OK, the procedure is complete. Continue with normal troubleshooting.
- If the spark plugs are fouled, go to step 2.
2. Replace the spark plugs per service information and check for stored DTCs.
Make sure to write down the stored DTCs on the R.O.
- If the applicable DTCs do not return, the procedure is complete.
- If the applicable DTCs return, this bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal troubleshooting.
REPAIR PROCEDURE B
If there is a whirling noise coming from the engine, follow the procedure below.
2. After the warm-up procedure is completed, let the car return to idle for 10 seconds.
3. After 10 seconds, slowly increase the engine speed up to 3500 rpm (this should take at least 20 seconds).
- If the noise is similar, continue to step 6.
- If the noise is not similar, this bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal system troubleshooting.
6. Remove the cylinder head cover. See service information for additional instructions.
7. Compare the appearance of the camshaft lobes to the photo below.
- If the camshafts appear similar to the no good photo, go to step 8.
- If the camshafts appear similar to the good photo, this bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal system
1. Relieve the fuel pressure and remove the high pressure fuel pump. Refer to the service information for additional
4. Raise the vehicle on a lift.
8. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise back to TDC on the No. 1 cylinder to secure the lock pin in place.
10. Lower the vehicle.
11. Loosen the locknuts and adjusting screws.
12. Remove the high pressure fuel pump base.
17. Remove the rocker arm assembly, and install the new set. Refer to the service information for additional instructions.
19. Install the VTC actuators on the new camshafts.
You may need an assistant to help you with this procedure.
23. Install the camshaft chain tensioner and release the lock pin.
25. To check the camshaft timing, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation (clockwise) two full turns, then
stop at the TDC mark. Refer to step 4 of the Camshaft Timing Inspection in the service information.
26. Do a valve adjustment.
27. Install the high pressure fuel pump base and new camshaft holder cover. Refer to step 7 of the installation section of
the Cylinder Head Removal and Installation (1.5L Engine) in the service information.
28. Install the cylinder head cover. Refer to the service information for additional instructions.
29. Install the high pressure fuel pump with the new o-ring and fuel joint pipe. Refer to the service information for
30. Install the engine undercover and any other remaining parts.
31. During the first start up, check for DTCs set or abnormal noises. Refer to service information for additional
32. Reset the throttle position learned values by referencing the throttle body removal and installation in the service
information, then do the PCM idle learn procedure. Refer to service information for additional instructions.
1 Associated Document
Service Bulletin 19-037
June 18, 2019
- Mobil 1 High Mileage full-synthetic motor oil 0W-20 is designed for engines with over 75,000 miles to go up to 10,000 miles between oil changes.
- Utilizes Mobil 1’s signature Triple Action Formula to deliver outstanding engine performance, protection, and cleanliness
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean and helping to improve your fuel economy
- Provides excellent internal engine heat protection (up to 500 degrees F) and low temperature protection (to -30 degrees F)
- ADVANCED PROTECTION AGAINST the four main causes of engine breakdown: wear friction heat and deposits
- 40% BETTER WEAR PROTECTION vs. industry standard as tested in the Sequence IVB engine test
- 25% BETTER DEPOSIT PROTECTION with superior engine cleaning detergents as tested in the GMOD engine test
- EXCEPTIONAL HIGH/LOW TEMPERATURE PROTECTION defends your motor no matter the weather conditions
- MINIMIZE EXPENSIVE REPAIRS due to exhaust system damage by shielding important engine components
- API SN/GF5 CERTIFIED
- PREMIUM FULL SYNTHETIC: K&N premium synthetic oil helps keep your engine running like new.
- ADVANCED SYNTHAMAX TECHNOLOGY: Formulated with unique additives to help protect critical engine components.
- SUPERIOR ENGINE PROTECTION: Advanced formula full synthetic oil is formulated to minimize harmful contaminants and sludge buildup.
- REDUCE WEAR & TEAR: K&N ultra synthetic engine oil offers premium engine protection.
- ALL WEATHER PROTECTION: K&N advanced full synthetic motor oil helps your car run smooth in both cold & hot temperature conditions.
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic Motor Oil provides maximum protection to help fight the impact of severe conditions that can potentially shorten engine life
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic has been proven to dramatically reduce engine wear - 6X better than the industry standard
- 1.3X better sludge protection than industry standards
- Full synthetic formula provides thermal and oxidation stability with a superior level of protection against viscosity breakdown
- Specifications: API SP/SN PLUS/SN, ILSAC GF-6, GM dexos1 Gen 2, Meets Ford WSS-M2C962-A1
- 5 Quart bottle of fully synthetic 0W-20 engine oil - API SP, ILSAC GF-6
- Maximizes fuel economy by combining synthetic base oils with advanced friction modifying additive technologies
- Provides outstanding protection against engine wear while minimizing formation of deposits, even under extreme conditions
- Engineered for high piston cleanliness which means less oil burn-off and reduced emissions
- Optimized detergent chemistry eliminates LSPI (also known as stochastic pre-ignition) events, most common in certain TGDI vehicles operating at low speeds and high loads
- Full synthetic 0W-20 engine oil made from made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- Pennzoil 0W-20 is a carbon neutral motor oil, achieved through verified Nature Based Carbon Credits that offset the CO2 lifecycle emissions
- Provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 keeps pistons up to 45% cleaner than the toughest industry standard (based on Sequence IIIH results)
- No other leading synthetic oil provides better wear protection from friction (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- For new Toyota and Scion purchases, use 0W-20 oil for all oil changes
- With the new 0W-20 oil you only needchange your oil every 10,000 miles12 months, dependingoperating conditions
- Reduced environmental burdenrecycling and disposalwaste oil
- Enhanced engine protectiona wide varietyoperating temperatures
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Low viscosity, advanced full synthetic formula. Helps increase engine efficiency and improve fuel economy up to 2 percent
- Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability; Helps reduce oil aging, resulting in long lasting protection
- Outstanding low-temperature capabilities; Quick cold-weather starting and fast protection helps extend engine life
- Precisely balanced additive component system
Last update on 2022-11-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.