August 19, 2015
00216 Version 2
Front Suspension Clunk or Rattle When Driving over Bumps
Supersedes 14-040, dated November 5, 2014, to revise the information highlighted in yellow
|2014–15||RLX (Excluding RLX Sport Hybrid)||ALL||ALL|
Under AFFECTED VEHICLES, the year range was updated.
The front damper has an internal valve characteristic that creates the noise.
Replace both front spring/damper assemblies.
|Part Name||Part Number||Quantity|
|Strut Noise Kit (includes front left spring/damper assembly, front right spring/damper assembly, pinch bolt , flange nut , strut brace mounting nut )||06510-TY2-305||1|
|Bolt (12 x 98 mm)||90121-S0A-000||2|
|Nut (12 mm)||90215-SB0-003||2|
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.
|Operation Number||Description||Flat Rate Time||Template ID||Failed Part Number|
|4151C2||Replace both front spring/dampers (includes testdrive).||1.7 hrs||14-040N||51621-TY2-A01|
|A||Add for alignment.||0.4 hr||14-040P|
Defect Code: 00504
Symptom Code: 04201
Skill Level: Repair Technician
- Test-drive the vehicle to confirm the clunk or rattle is coming from the front suspension.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor harness bracket.
- Remove the damper fork.
- Remove the front strut brace mounting nuts and the flange nuts.
NOTE: Do not let the damper/spring drop down under its own weight.
- Remove the damper/spring.
NOTE: Be careful not to damage the body.
- Install the new damper/spring in the body with the aligning tab facing inside.
- Loosely install the new flange nuts.
- Loosely install the front brace mounting nuts.
- Loosely install the damper fork using a new nut and bolt. Install the aligning tab on the damper unit into the damper fork slot.
- Load the suspension with the vehicle’s weight and torque the hardware:
- Install the wheel speed sensor harness bracket and torque the bolt to 5 N·m (7 lb-ft).